96 deville N* cats question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 96 deville N* cats question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i got a 96 deville wit the northstar and it has factory dual exhaust on it, i am going to ...
    hogstamogsta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Exclamation 96 deville N* cats question

i got a 96 deville wit the northstar and it has factory dual exhaust on it, i am going to put magnaflows or flowmasters or something on it within the next few weeks, i was wondering should i take the cats off or can i not because of the back pressure and what not? would it be louder if i took them off and better performance or what should i do..any suggestions please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 96 deville N* cats question

I have flowmaster delta flow 40seris and i love them. i would leave the stock cat but remove the resantor. i still have my resantor but will be taking it off soon. its not duals just 2 mufflers.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

what you need is this

full custom bent 3" from as far up as your shop can go...no resonator, into flowmaster delta flow race mufflers (3"). this will make your car sound like none other on this planet. it will be loud. for more mellow go flowmaster 2 chamber...i plan on eliminationg my cat and getting MIL eliminator to fool the ECM.

so mine will be full 3", no cat and no resonator, 1 chamber flows. get ready to feel the thunder.

also, if i can get header flanges and a tubing kit, you may see one of the few devilles with custom long tube headers. imagine those on perhaps a true dual 2.5" system. simply badass.

yeah i plan on doing that, i just didnt know if it would run shitty without the cat cuz no matter what im takin the resenator off anyways...

auroradude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora, 08 Z06

Whatever you do don't go that damn high -- 3" man. Get 2.5", anything over that and you will lose mad torque and these motors are gutless from the bottom anyway, why would you want to make it even worse.

then corsa must be doing something wrong because their exhaust is a full 3" system. many people use it and report awesome gains, not to mention sound.

a single 2.5" is a restriction to these cars. my mustang was dual 2.5" and it was same displacement (4.6L) but only a 2v motor. i could've gone 3" very easily with what i planned on doing to it.

agreed some backpressure must be retained, but on a motor like this, a single 2.5" would be a worthless move, especially since the stock system is a 2.5" system on most northstar vehicles.

now with me wanting to do headers, a dual 2.5" would be more appropriate.

ok well im just gonna take the cats off then n go all out

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Putting 3 inch exhaust piping on is NOT going to cause any loss of torque. The "lack of backpressure causing torque loss" is a ricer fairy tale. BS.

should i do 2 mufflers or 1?

it is possible to lose power by gong with too large of an exhaust, but with these motors this is just not the case. they like to breathe, we just don't have the room to run a proper exhaust...

I'd do 2 just to keep the looks of stock. some nice polished tips will look good. not to mention single outlet exhaust on a V8 = teh gheyness

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by hogstamogsta
    should i do 2 mufflers or 1?
    2... the car came with 2 so 1 would look stupid IMO.

And chambered mufflers (flowmasters fall into this category) suck. Well they sound good but are more of a restriction.

auroradude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora, 08 Z06

How about dynomax?? what the hell would you recommend for power and sound? I hope not corsa. i Dont like the exotic sound they have, it just doesnt sound right on this V8.

i love my flowmasters! i gain so seat power you know but not sure how much.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Quote Originally Posted by auroradude
    How about dynomax?? what the hell would you recommend for power and sound? I hope not corsa. i Dont like the exotic sound they have, it just doesnt sound right on this V8.
    Exotic? What the hell are you talking about?

Removing the cats is great if you never plan on getting your car inspected again, seeing as how it will almost certainly fail. Headers are pretty much useless on these cars since the factory manifolds are not very restrictive. Ask Mark, he said that he asked about getting the stock manifolds extrude honed and was told that they didn't really need it, seeing as how they already flow pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc
    Exotic? What the hell are you talking about?

Removing the cats is great if you never plan on getting your car inspected again, seeing as how it will almost certainly fail. Headers are pretty much useless on these cars since the factory manifolds are not very restrictive. Ask Mark, he said that he asked about getting the stock manifolds extrude honed and was told that they didn't really need it, seeing as how they already flow pretty damn good.
    the tech section says that the stock manifolds are pretty restrictive. or is it just the cross pipe?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.