PC0300 with troubleshoot. Coil Resistance?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, PC0300 with troubleshoot. Coil Resistance? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My '96SLS started misfiring yesterday - under low/rpm loading and during acceleration. The SES came on as well. I checked ...
    96_SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question PC0300 with troubleshoot. Coil Resistance?

My '96SLS started misfiring yesterday - under low/rpm loading and during acceleration. The SES came on as well. I checked the codes and got the PC0300. I checked the resistance between the terminals on the coils. With the resistance set to 20k on the multi-meter, I read 5.83 on all coils except the 5-2 coil, which read 5.98. Should I replace this coil or is it still good?

I plan on replacing the plug wires. 82,000 miles on car.

Also, my wife filled up the entire tank with 87 octane right before this happened. I didn't find out until half the tank was gone (and I asked her), which I then immediately pulled over and filled up with 93 octane. Could this also be the culprit, and a possible temporary one?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Easy Mac

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: PC0300 with troubleshoot. Coil Resistance?

She (the car, not your wife) will run fine on 87. I ran my '97 on it for years. That is not your problem.

Have you had the fuel rail recall done recently? That is a very common problem after the recall. Been there, done that. Apparently, disturbing old wires tends to make them break down internaly. I would bet that after you change wires (and plugs while your at it), it will be fine. Worked for me. Stick with OEM (A/C Delco) plugs and wires.

I bought the car used last October. I took it to the Caddy dealership nearby for the "before buying a used car" inspection. They told me according to their computer that checks the VIN, all recalls have been done.

I'll look into the wires and plugs tonight. Thanks!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The fuel rail is easy to verify. Just lift the silver beauty cover and make sure that the fuel rail is stainless steel vs black plastic.

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is my 96 included in that recall? im not to sure if its been done im pretty sure it hasnt. i have a pic of it for one of you to confirm if its been done or not. if it hasnt what does it cost and can any dealer do it?
    Attached Images

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Yours has not been done, any dealer can do it, it's free, take it in now.

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ok that will be the next place it goes too.

I swapped out the spark plugs with new ACDeclo platinums, and replaced the wires with Autolite Prefessional Series 7mm. Car runs like brand new. I cleared the PCM code and took it for a spin. I could not duplicate the code, nor did I feel the engine miss a single lick. It even seems to run smoother than before I got the code. Thanks for the replies!

FWIW- I did find somewhere on the web that the resistance between the posts on the coil should be between 4000-6000 ohms. Therefore, they all don't need to be exactly the same.

BTW- I do have the stainless fuel rail.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.