1994 Eldorado P083 Code?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1994 Eldorado P083 Code? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm new to this forum, but I would appreciate if someone could help me with this dilema. I have a ...
    eurumbaev is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1994 Eldorado P083 Code?

I'm new to this forum, but I would appreciate if someone could help me with this dilema. I have a '94 Eldorado Touring Coup with a P083 24x trouble code that comes and goes. Sometimes the car will stall, after which it will start right up. Also, this causes the engine to crank for a while before it'll start. The code doesn't seem to come on when it's a cold morning. I have replaced both crankshaft position sensors to no avail the code still comes back. What are my options? How can I tell if I actually have to replace the ICM or not?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: 1994 Eldorado P083 Code?

According to my FSM, it can be one of these items:

-A bad crankshaft position sensor

-A bad wire to one of the crankshaft position sensors (shorted/open circut).
    circut #'s are: 573 (yellow) and 574 (purple) to CSPS-A, and 470 (black) and 1800 (light blue and white) to CSPS-B

-Bad contact on one of the plugs

-Bad ICM

-Bad PCM

Also to the forums.

Thanks for the reply. I hope it's not the wiring. I emagine it's a mess to try to deal with the wiring. I checked and cleaned with WD-40 the connectors when putting on new crankshaft sensors. I'm really betting on the ICM. A guy's ICM, on another thread, was heat-sensitive. If he cooled it down, the light went off. That seems to happen to mine. On the cold morning, the light doesn't come on. I think I also lucked out by finding an ICM for $25 plus shipping(used though), instead of $400, which is what he paid for his.
    By the way, how many miles does your Eldorado have? Mine has 161000 and runs great, besides this problem. Any idea what you can expect the Northstar to last? Thanks again.

Just wanted to post my results. I replaced the Ignition Control Module(the whole thing with the coil), and the problem went away for good. Starts on the dot, never dies, runs great! Picked up and ICM from a junk yard for $90. Really easy to swop out.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Thanks for letting us know!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.