deciphering DTC messages into plain English
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, deciphering DTC messages into plain English in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Okay, so you pull all the codes, look them up on Anthony W. Haukap's excellent site: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html and you find ...
    bigmutt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

deciphering DTC messages into plain English

Okay, so you pull all the codes, look them up on Anthony W. Haukap's excellent site: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html
    and you find out that U1255 means "Loss of Serial Communication for class 2 Devices", for example.
    Well, that's nice, but what does it really mean? What caused this code? And how do you fix whatever caused it?

Is there a place to look up a more detailed explanation for these DTCs?

I've seen many members post individual DTC messages here and ask for help, but is there a way to save you guys your valuable time so you can devote your answers to more pressing issues on this forum (like: where are my cup holders?) ?????

Last year after I bought my Jozie I pulled all the codes, wrote them down, tracked down the two most pressing ones, and forgot about the rest. (I just left them.) Recently I checked again and they're all still there, plus 2 new ones (Loss of KIM - keep-alive-memory, and this Loss of serial communication for class 2 devices). Now I'm curious what exactly these nine messages mean; I'm tempted to just clear them and forget about it, as long as the car is running & operating fine (which it is).
    But then there's this nagging feeling that one day I'll hammer on the brakes during a panic turn or something, and there won't be any ABS to save my ass because I ignored some code that could have told me this.

What do you think?

(note: if you kind & helpful gentlemen on this forum want to offer some opinions on these individual messages from my Jozie, I'll more than happily post them for your comments; the decoded msgs of course. thanks)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: deciphering DTC messages into plain English

You need to get a service manual to decipher the code and how to troubleshoot the system that's identified in the code.

http://www.helminc.com
    Mike

bigmutt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: deciphering DTC messages into plain English

I have the service manuals, and today I spent an hour or so searching for more info on these codes, and found nothing. Yes, it lists the various codes but gives no clue as to why the code originated in the first place, and what to do to fix it.
    What am I missing?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.