Northstar noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar noise in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have read and re-read all the info about the fact that Northstars have a tendency to knock/tap some. Just ...
    GenrlRodes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1965 FWD 60S ~ 08 DTS 1-SE

Question Northstar noise

I have read and re-read all the info about the fact that Northstars have a tendency to knock/tap some. Just tonight I tried WOT to see if that would burn some carbon and ease the noise some. It does not seem to have done anything. The car runs great, and it is a great car.

When I bought the car in October of 05 it did not make any noises. Then early in December sometime it started to. I thought cold weather or oil needed changed which it did. I had it changed and since the weather from December in Iowa of single digits and below zero has been mild here in mid January. Still have the noise.

I love this car, but being a new Northstar owner just am worried somewhat.

Christopher

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Northstar noise

I assume you are talking about cold carbon rap? It might need another dose or two of WOT.

Well that is what I thought, but what are we defining as cold??? I knew in Decemver with single and below 0 degree days, that is definately cold, but in the upper 30's and low 40's??? I would have thought it would not do it. I will try a couple more WOT's. I have fun doing it anyways... Just wish the TOP SPEED FUEL OFF would not come on at 112...

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cold as in, the engine is cold, not the air outside. Cold is anything less than 150 degrees F. (give or take)

Make sure when you do your WOTs that your engine is up to temperature. Cold oil is high pressure viscous oil that won't protect your engine as well as warm oil. Not to mention it's not good for it. For really stubborn cases of carbon knocking, you might want to check the top engine cleaner thread in tech tips.

I will do that, and yes the car was warm. It was up over 150 degrees. I did notice last night while I was waiting for my girlfriend to get out of work. I listened under the hood of the car and it seems that the noise is coming from the back driver side of the engine or that area.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The rear of the engine (drivers side) is where the water pump is located. Inspect the pullies and belt. A bad bearing or frayed belt may produce the sound you are discribing.

ELDOminator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC

I also have a noticable knock. It's not too too loud, but the wierd thing is that it appeared the just after, on the same day as, when I had cleaned the engine with the GM engine cleaner. (Don't remember the name?) I was worried whether or not I had broken something loose? Or maybe it does that now that it has a better breath? Anyone know how cleaning the engine could have done this?

I would describe it as a clicking sound more than a ping ....

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by GenrlRodes
    ... Just wish the TOP SPEED FUEL OFF would not come on at 112...
    112 MPH U LUCKY BASTARD! my concurs wont go past 90 mph..used to do 130's
    I miss my SPEED!

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I only get 96mph

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by ELDOminator
    I also have a noticable knock. It's not too too loud, but the wierd thing is that it appeared the just after, on the same day as, when I had cleaned the engine with the GM engine cleaner. (Don't remember the name?) I was worried whether or not I had broken something loose? Or maybe it does that now that it has a better breath? Anyone know how cleaning the engine could have done this?
    Oh. Did you change the oil right afterwards?

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS

I had the same knocking noise on my Northstar, I don't drive my car frequently and it was cold the day I went to start it, it started to knock. I was like, what the heck! I shut the car and restarted it and it kept on knocking. It was loud in the beginning but then it got less and less but it was still there. I saw that some other people had posted about the same thing and it was suggested to do some WOT'S, I did what was suggested and no more knock. Do more than one and you may get some results like I did.. Good luck!

David

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight
    Oh. Did you change the oil right afterwards?
    I hadn't changed it right afterwards, no. But I did a little while afterwards and it did seem to help. I never read to change the oil just after cleaning it. I guess it seems obvious to me now and I will always change it afterwards.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by ELDOminator
    I hadn't changed it right afterwards, no. But I did a little while afterwards and it did seem to help. I never read to change the oil just after cleaning it. I guess it seems obvious to me now and I will always change it afterwards.
    The bulletin does not mention it, but eldorado1 did.

So how long did you leave the TEC in the engine? I want to do the procedure because I hear valve clatter with the hood open and it may help.

I let it sit for ... I wanna say 5? But maybe it was 15? One of those 5 numbers... It wasn't long because I asked myself, "can I put all this back together in XX amount of time?" So it was probably 5 minutes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.