Best Code Reader/Scanner?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Best Code Reader/Scanner? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello all. I would like to get an opinion on which scanner/reader is the best bang for the buck. I ...
    Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Best Code Reader/Scanner?

Hello all. I would like to get an opinion on which scanner/reader is the best bang for the buck. I plan on purchasing one not only for my Deville but for other vehicles I wrench on and I hate borrowing/renting. I would like something as versatile as the Tech 2 but I am afraid I just don't want to put out that much for a scanner but at the same time, I don't want to be left with the feeling that whatever scanner I finally decide to purchase, that I won't be missing out on such things as expandability, upgrades, etc. I am willing to pay for a good quality scanner but even on ebay the Tech 2's are around $1200 and up. I am also open to any suggestions on OBD software for laptops/pda's. It would help if anyone has any firsthand experience on this subject. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Re: Best Code Reader/Scanner?

If you just want a tool that reads, this one seems pretty cool to me:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?9201

It is also CAN compatible, meaning it should be useful in the future too. It is upgradable, providing they continue upgrades for it.

A Tech-II is two-way, though, you can set parameters and trigger events. And I've never seen them with programming on eBay for less than about $2-3,000.

Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40
    A Tech-II is two-way, though, you can set parameters and trigger events. And I've never seen them with programming on eBay for less than about $2-3,000.
    Thanks Aurora, I will put that one on the list of possibles. I would not mind one with programming though. Is the Tech II the only one out there that can set parameters and trigger events?

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Not that I know of.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.