Emmissions Codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Emmissions Codes in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 96 STS northstar - I'd appreciate some comments on this. Almost every time I drive, at some stage in the ...
    thehammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Emmissions Codes

96 STS northstar - I'd appreciate some comments on this.

Almost every time I drive, at some stage in the journey I will get "Service Engine Soon - Emmissions Systems" come up on the display. Sometimes this triggers the "Service Engine" light, but not always. This almost always happens when I am idling at the lights - never while driving at speed.

The service engine light usually goes off after 50-60 freeway miles.

My mechanic said it might be dirty injectors. I have run around 6 bottles of Techron cleaner with various fillups, but not for a while, however the problem still keeps coming back!

What is going on here. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but it sure is annoying!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Emmissions Codes

Quote Originally Posted by thehammer
    96 STS northstar - I'd appreciate some comments on this.

Almost every time I drive, at some stage in the journey I will get "Service Engine Soon - Emmissions Systems" come up on the display. Sometimes this triggers the "Service Engine" light, but not always. This almost always happens when I am idling at the lights - never while driving at speed.

The service engine light usually goes off after 50-60 freeway miles.

My mechanic said it might be dirty injectors. I have run around 6 bottles of Techron cleaner with various fillups, but not for a while, however the problem still keeps coming back!

What is going on here. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but it sure is annoying!!
    Check the codes, look them up, and tell us what you find. We can tell you what's wrong and how to fix it. To learn how to check codes, read this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=53635
    Mike

OK, thanks Mike.

Codes are as follows:

PC0171 PC0174 PC0603 PC1520 IR1740

No Codes for IPC, ACM, SDM, TCS, RSS, PZM, RFA, CCP

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Now go here for the code definitions.
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

So I get the following:

PC0171 and PC0174 are "Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 & 2"
    So I guess this means either the injectors ARE blocked up or else the car doesn't like running on 87 octane. I read a few of the threads about what fuel to run the N* on and see it is a well thrashed subject. I have noticed pinging once or twice when I have given it the all, accellerating from 0-50 as fast as possible, but that is the only time it happens.

PC0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
    No idea what this means

PC1520 - Transmission Range Switch Circuit
    I guess this is why I don't have OD - I don't know much about this.

IR1740 - can't find this Code in the list...

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by thehammer
    So I get the following:

PC0171 and PC0174 are "Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 & 2"
    So I guess this means either the injectors ARE blocked up or else the car doesn't like running on 87 octane. I read a few of the threads about what fuel to run the N* on and see it is a well thrashed subject. I have noticed pinging once or twice when I have given it the all, accellerating from 0-50 as fast as possible, but that is the only time it happens.

PC0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
    No idea what this means

PC1520 - Transmission Range Switch Circuit
    I guess this is why I don't have OD - I don't know much about this.

IR1740 - can't find this Code in the list...
    The fuel trim system lean messages mean that the oxygen sensors are detecting a rich condition and telling the PCM to compensate by leaning out the mix. There is only so much wiggle room in the system, and the code is telling you that it has hit the low limit of compensation and is still being told to lean out the mix further. This could be happening because the MAF or TPS are failing or a number of other possibilities here including a very dirty air filter and dirty injectors. I think I've got that right but it's possible an expert will chime in here with a correction. If I'm wrong, I'm on the opposite side of the problem, in which case the problem could be a vacuum leak. Hear any weird hissing noises under the hood with the engine running? Is it idling high? Does it start within 1-3 seconds? Is the Intake Air Temperature sensor (inside the air filter box) intact and plugged in? Do you have a reusable oiled air filter?
    Mike

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    The fuel trim system lean messages mean that the oxygen sensors are detecting a rich condition and telling the PCM to compensate by leaning out the mix. There is only so much wiggle room in the system, and the code is telling you that it has hit the low limit of compensation and is still being told to lean out the mix further. This could be happening because the MAF or TPS are failing or a number of other possibilities here including a very dirty air filter and dirty injectors. I think I've got that right but it's possible an expert will chime in here with a correction. If I'm wrong, I'm on the opposite side of the problem, in which case the problem could be a vacuum leak. Hear any weird hissing noises under the hood with the engine running? Is it idling high? Does it start within 1-3 seconds? Is the Intake Air Temperature sensor (inside the air filter box) intact and plugged in? Do you have a reusable oiled air filter?
    Mike,
    I may well be wrong but, I thought "Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 & 2" meant that a lean condition was detected.

Well I have no idea which one of you is right lean or rich, but I can answer your questions Mike:
    - No hissing
    - Idles around 500rpm from memory
    - Starts sweet every time

But I have never checked the air filter - I will have a look this weekend.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.