3 questions regarding the timesert job
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 3 questions regarding the timesert job in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey, finally getting to my timesert job (i've been reaaally busy lately), and i have a few questions: 1: crap ...
    chance_b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 pearl sts

3 questions regarding the timesert job

hey, finally getting to my timesert job (i've been reaaally busy lately), and i have a few questions:

1: crap is falling down into the coolant passages, and i'm wondering what the best way to get it out would be? there's coolant in there too currently, around the combustion chambers.

2: when i place the jig on the block and line up my hole with the bushing and alignment pin, i can only get one other hole lined up with the jig to bolt the thing down with. i assumed all 3 would line up with holes, am i doing something wrong maybe?

3: how does the procedure go for the two holes (per side) that go down into the head alignment pegs?

if it matters, it's a first repair and i'm doing it on a 1994 4.6 Northstar.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

99 NS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 3 questions regarding the timesert job

I covered up all openings with rags and a blanket.

Try flipping the jig over and turning it around. It should line up with all four holes.

You will have to remove the alignment pins and replace them to time sert those holes.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

1)You can tape over the block openings.
    We used a shop vac. One guy keeps the tip near the drill bit to suck up the chips. A small tip works better to maximize the suction. A few still get away so you need to cover the top of the block even if you use the vac, The good thing about the vac was most of the mess was already cleaned up.

2) Just as 99NS said.

3)Remove the alignment pegs. Cut through as far as possible and you should be able to get them out. They are a pain.

chance_b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 pearl sts

hold on - cut the alignment pegs off? as in get rid of em altogether? no more alignment pegs?

haha i mean it's fine by me, just wanna make sure that's what youre sayin, nothing a hacksaw and a file can't handle i guess.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I believe you have to pull them and then replace them later.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

You do replace them. We could not get them out without destroying them. The dealer has new ones that he's like to sell you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.