Anyone have an opinion on electric superchargers?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Anyone have an opinion on electric superchargers? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Not sure what I am talking about? check out this link http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ I have done a little web-research and found ...
    stswillie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Anyone have an opinion on electric superchargers?

Not sure what I am talking about? check out this link http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

I have done a little web-research and found about 70% of people think they are worthless and 30% think they are ok. I though I would see if anyone in the caddy arena have tried them or want to throw in there two cents.

Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

beemer2k is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Anyone have an opinion on electric superchargers?

Quote Originally Posted by stswillie
    Not sure what I am talking about? check out this link http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

I have done a little web-research and found about 70% of people think they are worthless and 30% think they are ok. I though I would see if anyone in the caddy arena have tried them or want to throw in there two cents.

Will
    I have no experience with this product, BUT it seems to me if it did work so well, you would see them on more cars. Not to say that rare things aren't as good as common things, but in this instance, I think my logic is sound. My advice to you (if you really want to upgrade performance) is take that $300 and upgrade (widen) the exhaust and get a K&N... that is if you haven't already. Why is it only sold on the net? If this item is as effective as they claim, wouldn't they have a contract with at least 1 speed shop? Take a look at the guarantee. You have to take the car to a dyno (if you know where to find one), send them the slips and the unit back (now you have paid to ship this turd twice). They'll reimburse you half up to $50 for the dyno time, so you're still out half your money from that. If the STS is one of those "rare cars" that this product doesn't work on, you will have paid $50 to find out, not to mention the time and inconvenience.

Good point(s). Which exhaust do you reccomend. I have a welder, pipe bender for up to 2 1/4 inch and could probably get a pipe expander for pretty cheap, so I can fabricate most things. However a bolt on exhaust is still ok with me. My biggest concern is noise. I want preformance but I want Quiet too. The Caddy is my power touring car. My first(and still in the stable) car is a 1975 camaro 4 spd with dual exhaust that dumps out under the car. This is what I used for all my first road trips so now I want my ride to be smooth and quiet---yet very quick.

O yeah it is easy to find the KandN filter for my car 96 STS? Or are there several options with varyign degrees of preformance?

LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I don't have time for a long response, but I have experience with these. Mediocre results, but there may be potential. I'll write more this evening.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by LymanSS
    I don't have time for a long response, but I have experience with these. Mediocre results, but there may be potential. I'll write more this evening.

Scott
    Awsome I look forward to it!!

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

the guarentee only claims 4-6% increase....something you can easily get with a k&n filter. This thing is a crock.......its a filter that lets more air in big whoop buy from someone you can trust.

Good point(s). Which exhaust do you reccomend. I have a welder, pipe bender for up to 2 1/4 inch and could probably get a pipe expander for pretty cheap, so I can fabricate most things. However a bolt on exhaust is still ok with me. My biggest concern is noise. I want preformance but I want Quiet too. The Caddy is my power touring car. My first(and still in the stable) car is a 1975 camaro 4 spd with dual exhaust that dumps out under the car. This is what I used for all my first road trips so now I want my ride to be smooth and quiet---yet very quick.

O yeah it is easy to find the KandN filter for my car 96 STS? Or are there several options with varyign degrees of preformance?
    I got the same car as you. Here's what I did: removed the cat, changed the Y to 2.5 inches all the way around, and changed the muffs to dynomax super turbos. I felt a noticable change of power, but it is also markedly louder. Kind of like a trans am. Pretty quiet at idle, but roars in acceleration. You still have to turn the radio up a little louder. Probably not what you want. Someone else here has to have other muffs on. I heard borlas and bassanis sound good? As for the filters, everything I have heard says stick with the stock airbox. K&N says they don't make a filter for the 96-97 seville, but just use the one for 93-95. It fits like a just slightly oversized glove . I've also heard good things about removing the honeycomb filter from the MAF. I did it on my car the same time I changed the filter, so I don't rightly know what power came from where, but that honeycomb sure looks like an aweful waste of space for what it's supposed to do. But who am I to 2nd guess GM

Quote Originally Posted by beemer2k
    I got the same car as you. Here's what I did: removed the cat, changed the Y to 2.5 inches all the way around, and changed the muffs to dynomax super turbos. I felt a noticable change of power, ... I have heard says stick with the stock airbox. K&N says they don't make a filter for the 96-97 seville, but just use the one for 93-95. It fits like a just slightly oversized glove . I've also heard good things about removing the honeycomb filter from the MAF. I did it on my car the same time I changed the filter, so I don't rightly know what power came from where, but that honeycomb sure looks like an aweful waste of space for what it's supposed to do. But who am I to 2nd guess GM
    Cool, so three questions,
    1. Do you now have true dual exhaust now?
    2. So are you are you or are you not reccomending a K&N filter change?
    3. Where it this honeycomb filter? Dose MAF stand for MassAirFlowsensor?(sorry I am kinda new to hot rodding fuel injected cars)

Cool, so three questions,
    1. Do you now have true dual exhaust now?
    2. So are you are you or are you not reccomending a K&N filter change?
    3. Where it this honeycomb filter? Dose MAF stand for MassAirFlowsensor?(sorry I am kinda new to hot rodding fuel injected cars)
    1. I wish I had true duals. Mine is just dual from the Y back (which is stock), I just have an extra half inch on each side leading to the muffs.
    2. I swear by K&N. I wouldn't use anything else. Every mechanic friend I have tells me they are the best.
    3. Correct, Mass Airflow Sensor. There is tube that leads from the airbox to the MAF. Remove end that connects to the MAF and you will notice a white honeycomb looking filter in the MAF. This filter is plastic and comes out easily with a little prodding, BUT I would remove the MAF from the intake before you take it out. Reason being that if you accidentally push filter fragments into the intake, you're probably gonna have very expensive problems. Just take off the MAF remove the secondary (honeycomb) filter, wipe the MAF out real good and re-attach. Good luck.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the wonderful world of modding cadillacs! It ain't easy, but it's very rewarding.

Ok, I will give that(plastic filter removal) a try and put a K&N on order soon as I have some extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer2k
    I got the same car as you. Here's what I did: removed the cat, changed the Y to 2.5 inches :
    Ok I like the remove the cat idea . I could make a test pipe pretty easily. Dose the computer have a preoblem with the cat being on a vacation? There are 02 sensors right before and behind the CAT.

lido is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looks like you can make one hell of a leafblower, I wonder if I can use a rechargable battery? Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by lido
    Looks like you can make one hell of a leafblower, I wonder if I can use a rechargable battery? Just kidding
    A car battery is a rechargable battery.

LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hey all... Sorry I took so long to reply. Here's the info I have: For a while I was intrigued by the idea of electric supercharging. I believe it has the potential to offer boost on demand without the complexity or parasitic loss of a real supercharger or even a turbo. When I discovered these things I thought I'd give it a shot. I ordered the "super" version with the dual inline blowers. I'll start out by saying these are NOT the things you see on ebay going for 50 dollars. (if you haven't seen those, just go to ebay and search for electric supercharger). Those things are basically just bilge blowers for ventilating the bilge of a boat. They are incable of generating any usable boost. The E-ram blowers are MUCH more powerful. It's actually an impressive motor they have in there. If you hold it in your hand and turn it on it'll really pull your hand around a little. The volume and pressure really seems like it might be meangful. I honestly believe that if you put one of these things on your car, properly, under the right circumstances, you might experience measurable gains in power. Nothing like a real supercharger, but 5-10 percent. No K&N will give you that. So I think they have potential.

Here's where my story changes direction: First off, the quality was not nearly what I was led to believe. At the time I bought it, the ads showed a quality axial compressor in an aluminum housing. I ordered the dual inline system which was supposed to come with two of these, with rubber hose in between them and another rubber hose on each end. When it arrived I found two cheap plastic axial compressors in cheap plastic housings. One of the rubber tubes was missing altogether. I found that the housings were so flexible that when you tried to secure a tube to them using a hose-clamp, the housing distorted to the point where it made contact with the blades of the compressor. Cheap Cheap Cheap!!! On top of that the wiring looked like something that could have been thrown together in 3 minutes with parts from radio shack. The icing on the cake was the second motor. One motor worked fine (and it is based on this that I gave my above impressions of it's power). But the second one....was burnt out when I recieved it. It never once spun in my possession. I contacted the company repeatedly about this and NEVER got a response from them. All things considered I think they have a nice idea, and the potential to make some power in the right hands, but the product is critically flawed due to cheap components, poor assembly and horrible customer support. If anyone wants to try making their own electric supercharger, I don't want this post to discourage them. I really think it might work. But that company seems to be more interested in making some money than in helping people make power.

Scott

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Scott...HI !!!!!!!! Sandy from LOD, how are ya man ? !!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.