Low Oil Pressure Stop Engine !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Low Oil Pressure Stop Engine ! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I JUST GO A 2000 DEVILLE DROVE IT ABOUTH 5 MILES THEN THE BELLS AND CLUSTER SAYS STOP ENGINE LOW ...
    frankmarks05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Low Oil Pressure Stop Engine !

I JUST GO A 2000 DEVILLE DROVE IT ABOUTH 5 MILES THEN THE BELLS AND CLUSTER SAYS STOP ENGINE LOW OIL PRESSURE ? CAN ANYONE HELP ...
    IT WAS A QUT LOW WILL THAT MAKE THE CAR GO NUTS? I TOOK THE OIL CAP OFF IT SEEMS TO BE PUMPING OIL FINE . i topped it off but only drove it a few miles no lights yet . i did find out it's been on the dealers lot for 2 years and it hasn't been drivein , a im going to change the oil and see what happins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ok just changed the oil drove it for 10 miles nutting came up ? like i said the car was setting for 2 years at a dealership . it has 72000 miles engine purs like a kat? oh i did take it to a drivetrue car wash that sraywashes under the car do you guys think maybee that can do something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Supercrew632 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CERTIFIED CADDY TECH

Re: Low Oil Pressure Stop Engine !

top it off and then see what it says----You probably have a major crankcase leak---have it checked..........

Supercrew632

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by frankmarks05
    I JUST GO A 2000 DEVILLE DROVE IT ABOUTH 5 MILES THEN THE BELLS AND CLUSTER SAYS STOP ENGINE LOW OIL PRESSURE ? CAN ANYONE HELP ...
    IT WAS A QUT LOW WILL THAT MAKE THE CAR GO NUTS? I TOOK THE OIL CAP OFF IT SEEMS TO BE PUMPING OIL FINE .
    The low oil pressure could be from a leak but more often is caused by gunk in the oil pump. Serious deposits of carbon in the engine are carried in the oil which will eventually lead to oil pump suction/discharge pressure problems.

Some NorthStar mechanics claim that filling the crankcase with 16qt of motor oil, then revving the engine to 6K a few times will help to seat the lower seals and dislodge sediment build up in the sump. Then drain the crankcase, and refill to the proper level.

Do I recommend it? Absolutely not! It is here for you to try, but if you value your Cadillac, I would not attempt it on one of mine.

You were not specific, if the oil level was low, or if just the pressure is low. In either case there is a problem that must be addressed immediately.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Being a qt. low will not set off any bells and whistles. The Check Oil Level message won't even come on til you are 2 qts. low. Since it sat for 2 yrs (valves and switches may be a little sluggish and sticky), and the light has not come back on again, I'd wait and see what happens. If it returns, then I'd look at the oil pressure switch. it is on the oil filter adapter.

thanks ill do that...

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

If it sat for 2yrs are you sure the oil has been recently changed?

Did you do it or the dealer? What oil was used?

tremor12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Probably a bad oil pressure sender. Cheap and easy to replace during an oil change...

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    If it sat for 2yrs are you sure the oil has been recently changed?

Did you do it or the dealer? What oil was used?
    i had it do today dove it abouth 50 miles nutting came up on the cluster

i used 5w30 oil i think the man said allmost 8 qt's

auroradude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora, 08 Z06

Sitting for 2 years is extremely bad, especially if it was only started up to move or something like that. Better off not even starting it if your going to move the ****. I wouldnt have bought the vehicle if theyd have told me that..

Anyway i had the low oil pressure message come on in 105 degree weather one time. It was when i was using Mobil 1 5w-30. My engine has serious leaks that have gotten worse over time. It blows oil out all over the side of the engine when driving. I mean the entire block is just covered in gunk and sludge, its gross.

But anyway, It got as low as like 2.5 quarts remaining in the crankcase, and it actually shut off on its own. I thought I locked up the motor, but it wouldnt restart until i filled it back up to 7 quarts. Good system.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Check the oil level and monitor it for a repeat failure.
    (as you are doing)

Sometimes the oil pressure switch will go bad causing the light to come on. Just to be sure you might change it, that way if the light comes back on you will know you actually have a problem.

Low oil level can cause this to happen but the oil would have to be really, really low.

If that message comes on, pull the car over and shut it off, don't run it until you know it's okay. No sense in taking a chance ripping all the bearings out of your car, unless you just really want to buy a new engine.

I'd replace the oil pressure sensor just to be sure though.

Most new engine designs use lower pressure than old designs. Changing oil should have been done before you drove it off the dealers lot, or as SOON as you could.

If it's good with fresh oil it should be OK.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

i had that light come on after having my oil pressure light pulse for about 10 minutes. When that message came on the oil light came on steady. Babyed it the 1 more minute home. HAD AN OIL TRAIL THE WHOLE WAY!!!! Filled it up with 9 quarts drove it to the dealer (about 10 miles away.) Pulled in went inside and by the time i told them what happened and they moved the car onto the lift a puddle the size of your head was already there. They lifted it and discovered one of my main oil pressure lines came loose. Tightened it up filled it with oil and started to drive it home. Hit the pedal and as soon as youd hit 3000 rpm the engine would knock BAD. Took it right back. Thing busted a rod was in the shop for 3 weeks while they put in a "new" (from a 96 STS with 36k on it) Northstar.

In submation DONT *** AROUND WITH LOW OIL PRESSURE!!! Take it back now and have it looked at and have them run the codes. If that light came on theres a code in the DIC stateing why.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

You were at low idle when this message came up and the chime sounded, correct? The north*s have considerably low oil pressure at idle. Like Ranger and ewill and maybe others stated, you oil pressure switch might need changing. I experienced the same thing almost a year ago. I was a only a quart low. I normally use 10w30. I dropped a quart of 10w40 in and haven't had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldyfig
    You were at low idle when this message came up and the chime sounded, correct? The north*s have considerably low oil pressure at idle. Like Ranger and ewill and maybe others stated, you oil pressure switch might need changing. I experienced the same thing almost a year ago. I was a only a quart low. I normally use 10w30. I dropped a quart of 10w40 in and haven't had a problem since.
    yes i was i just changed the oil thay put 5 w 30 in it ill try this and see what it will do next oil change i will put 10 w 40 in it .....

I'd recommend 10-30. You may want to stay with 5-30 winter and try 10-30 summer.

You had old oil that may have had WATER in it from condensation. If it had been drained into a clean pan you might have seen it. A shop might not have noticed it if they used a lift and then poured it into their holding tank.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.