Head gasket leak after
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Head gasket leak after in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just finished about 4 or 5 WOT to clean out the carbon, probably do this 3 or 4 times a ...
    brmurph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours

Head gasket leak after

Just finished about 4 or 5 WOT to clean out the carbon, probably do this 3 or 4 times a year (I do more WOT then that just not at one time). Car is now in the shop getting the head gaskets replaced. Car has just under 100,000 miles on it. Not saying the WOT caused the problem but sure seems odd that by the time I got home (two miles later) the car was overheating, just wanted to post the information, will let each of you draw your own conclusion.

BTW cooling system was maintained more often then recommended with dexcool, I will admit that the dealer used tap water instead of distilled water when they changed the coolant, also I believe they flushed it instead of just drain and replace like recommended on this board.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Re: Head gasket leak after

Tap water is not good. You would think a dealer would know better than this. They really don't put the care into your car that you would yourself. And they aren't really as knowlegable as they should be with North*s.

I tend to limit my WOTs to just a couple when needed (when I get the cold carbon rap). Just a couple WOTs and the noise is gone. Never needed 4 or 5. That doesn't mean I baby it though.

I have seemed to notice that 96 and later North*s seem to have more headgasket failures than 95 and earlier. Have you clicked on that link to the left about Dex-Cool Investigation?

auroradude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora, 08 Z06

Oh man thats not good. I do a lot of WOT on my 4.0 NS. Not at the same time, but overall I do it 3 or 4 times daily. Usually when passing but lately I have had the speeding urge and tend to go 120 to school and work every morning.

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If the head gaskets starting leaking then they were going to leak regardless of doing a WOT manuever or not. The WOT maneuvers did not "fail" a perfectly good headgasket. If it failed it would have failed anyway. Wot has nothing to do with it.

brmurph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle
    If the head gaskets starting leaking then they were going to leak regardless of doing a WOT manuever or not. The WOT maneuvers did not "fail" a perfectly good headgasket. If it failed it would have failed anyway. Wot has nothing to do with it.
    If your point is that the gaskets were already weakend and that the WOT pushed "may" have pushed it over the top then I would agree with you. The dealer has the heads off and the good news is that the tops of the pistons are very clean (no carbon)

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle
    Hmmmmm?
    A cousin perhaps?

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I can't help it..Anytime I get on the freeway,(twice a day) it's usually wide open

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.