Should I Worry About WOT?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Should I Worry About WOT? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have been aware of the WOT recommendations to reduce oil consumption and I find myslef relieving my tensions quite ...
    MUGSANDLUKE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Should I Worry About WOT?

I have been aware of the WOT recommendations to reduce oil consumption and I find myslef relieving my tensions quite a few time a day. Should I be concerned about running it to the top of the tach or should I just let it go? Is there a limiter at the top end to cap off the RPM's before they go over the red line? I know there is a limit to the RPM's if just reving it up in neutral. At about 4000 RPM's it begins to cut back on its own. I have not yet just let it go to the top in concern for over rev damage. Any suggestions? Any idea what the top end is on this Northstar for RPM and speed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Should I Worry About WOT?

Quote Originally Posted by MUGSANDLUKE
    I have been aware of the WOT recommendations to reduce oil consumption and I find myslef relieving my tensions quite a few time a day. Should I be concerned about running it to the top of the tach or should I just let it go? Is there a limiter at the top end to cap off the RPM's before they go over the red line? I know there is a limit to the RPM's if just reving it up in neutral. At about 4000 RPM's it begins to cut back on its own. I have not yet just let it go to the top in concern for over rev damage. Any suggestions? Any idea what the top end is on this Northstar for RPM and speed?
    You have nothing to worry about. If the revs get too high, it will shift into a higher gear. So, say you have the shifter at 2, but you get it close to 6000 RPMs. The PCM will shift into 3rd to prevent engine damage. Run it up as close as you can to 6000 RPMs a few times a month, then let off the pedal completely to take it to high vacuum and run it down from about 80 to about 55, then do it again. There is a limiter. The system is intelligent enough not to allow the engine to destroy itself. It will only "cut back" when you hit the top speed the PCM will allow, which varies between 110 and 150 depending on which model you have and what tires it came with. Just put the pedal on the floor and leave it there and stop worrying about it. The engine will rev up for you and love every second of it. Just be safe on the roads!
    Mike

dhs
    dhs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It'll still shift into 3rd even if you have the shifter in 2 instead of D? The whole point of shifting into 2 is to lock out 3rd and 4th, isn't it? I though it would just stay at the 6000rpm rev limiter if you floor it if it's in 2.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench
    WOT in moderation por favor

Quote Originally Posted by dhs
    It'll still shift into 3rd even if you have the shifter in 2 instead of D? The whole point of shifting into 2 is to lock out 3rd and 4th, isn't it? I though it would just stay at the 6000rpm rev limiter if you floor it if it's in 2.
    Yes, it will still shift into a higher gear, but not until you get to the rev limit. If you're just cruising along at 70, it will stay in 2nd gear. Once you hit about 80 and almost 6000 RPMs, though, it will shift into 3rd to prevent damage. Same thing if you put it in lowest gear. It will stay in 1st until about 6000 RPMs then shift hard into 2nd to prevent damage. It's a safety feature that we should be glad to have, but it makes it kind of tricky to reach maximum RPMs and stay there for a while.
    Mike

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

You should worry about running it like that, absoultely. You should worry about a lot of things, but we don't.. Do it.. run it out..

MUGSANDLUKE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks guys! I was unaware of the feature that auto shifts up at top RPM. I won't have a carbon problem too much longer. That will be me going by you on the Thruway.

Quote Originally Posted by MUGSANDLUKE
    Thanks guys! I was unaware of the feature that auto shifts up at top RPM. I won't have a carbon problem too much longer. That will be me going by you on the Thruway.
    It's all good... Just be safe out there, watch out for the disco lights, and, most importantly, enjoy it!
    Mike

auroradude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Aurora, 08 Z06

I love the protective software of our Northstars. Ive driven a lot of ford cars (exploder and f150 4x4s.)..NO protective stuff. You can pin it in first manual selector, it will go way over the redline before it kills the ignition. Then you have to try and stop with no vacuum brakes. What a joke. Also you can throw ford products into reverse or Park going 50 and they are stupid enough to engage. My friend did that in a 93 tempo that he was taking to the junkyard. Going 55 down the highway next to the place he slammed the selector into Reverse and it just locked up the tires before finally crashing through the fence. A bunch of transmission parts flew out the back.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

^^There should be enough vacuum to stop the car once or twice with the engine off, plus if it kills the ignition that's probably a safeguard too.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine bumped his 77 LTD into reverse accidently, it just killed the engine and coasted to a stop. Started up, ran & shifted fine afterwards. Same story with another friend's 91 Park Ave. Maybe they were just lucky.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by auroradude
    My friend did that in a 93 tempo that he was taking to the junkyard. Going 55 down the highway next to the place he slammed the selector into Reverse and it just locked up the tires before finally crashing through the fence. A bunch of transmission parts flew out the back.

LOL!

Sounds like something out of a 80's flick.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.