with the engine now out, what should I replace?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, with the engine now out, what should I replace? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; With the engine dropped out of my car nowand the heads removed, I'm just going over everything I should replace ...
    chance_b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 pearl sts

with the engine now out, what should I replace?

With the engine dropped out of my car nowand the heads removed, I'm just going over everything I should replace before reinstalling. What do you guys think I should buy? And only what's necessary please, as I gotta keep my costs down as much as possible.

So far, this is what I'm thinking (aside from head gaskets of course)

-intake manifold gaskets
    -throttle body o-ring

Well that's a pretty short list so far, so what would you guys recommend? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: with the engine now out, what should I replace?

Power washing the engine compartment is always a good idea. Look for rust spots that can be treated.

How are your suspension bushings?
    Any lower oil leaks need fixin'?
    How do the O2 sensor(s) look?

i'll shampoo for sure, and the engine too - i never did before removal and she's really grimy.

suspension bushings look alright for the most part, rubber didn't looked cracked or worn really from what i remember... however there was a slight knock/bump coming from the lower left suspension i believe, which i heard during the short time i had it on the road between buying and putting it on blocks. i've heard it's probably a balljoint, or maybe a tie-rod. not sure about the tie-rod, but i'm going to test for balljoint movement when i set the cradle back in the car.

as for oil leaks, i think i'm fine. after draining and shampooing, i'll fill back up and doublecheck for leaks.

o2 sensors? i'm assuming those are the sensors which thread directly into the exhaust manifolds (excuse my lack of knowledge here)? i haven't taken a good look at these, so what should i be checking for when i give them a visual inspection later on tonight?

what about the exhaust manifolds? should those be replaced?

haha, and btw.. does someone actually make that fuel guage you have as your icon or whatever? thats funny as hell, wouldn't mind buying one

You can tell how your car is running by the color of the O2 sensor. It should be white. Black is a sign of a rich condition. Some people replace them as a regular maintenance item every few years.

Exhaust manifold should be okay.

Nope, the gauge is just a pic. Sorry

thanks, i'll check the o2 sensors after work then. and as for the guage.. haha ah well. i just picked up an '80 el camino tho for $100 (rusted out floor/body mounts, no engine) so i think i just might try to mod the guage on that thing to match your pic. if i pull it off nice enough i'll post a pic

I'd like to see that. Maybe there's a market for it.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Now would be the time to replace the lower case seal if it's leaking.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

What about the plastic HVAC cover that cracks all the time?

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Replace the two seals between the oil filter adapter and the block. There is likely a lot of grunge around the oil filter adapter and below it. That would be from the oil filter adapter seals.

To remove the intake manifold from the engine just remove the four inner, recessed bolts in the intake cover. Do not remove the perimeter bolts in the cover, just the four inner, recessed bolts.

When you have the intake off to remove the heads look at the intake manifold spacer plates. They need to be cleaned. The EGR passages in the spacer plates will likely be full of carbon. Don't overlook the small machined notches in the cylinder head itself at each intake port.

If the lower crank case looks dry I would leave it alone, personally.

BodybyFisher is offline Guest

chevelle is there any benefit to tightening the lower crankcase bolts if you had a leak? Scotty

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.