2001 deville engine making kocking noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2001 deville engine making kocking noise in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was driving on the highway and i heard a pop then it got worse then a a constant whining ...
    Drakster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville

2001 Deville engine making popping noise

I was driving on the highway and i heard a pop then it got worse then a a constant whining knocking noise like (tiss,tiss,tiss) sounds like a vacuum leak... i posted the video...It occasionally marked check cooling level but it went away and it always has coolant...I also was hearing a light clicking sound under the dash by the drivers side for the last couple of weeks but it came and went...i towed my car home anybody have any ideas before i get the mechanic to look at it... ihad put oil in a week or two ago and it was at the add line i know these engines burn a lot of oil.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wnyo8tdu15z0ul/VIDEO0050.mp4

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

UM Rebel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville FWD, 2004 Corvette LeMans comemerative 'vert

Re: 2001 deville engine making poping noise

That sounds worse than a vacuum leak. Maybe blown head gasket. Did you recently have plugs changed? Might check if all plugs are in tight.

arctic_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Concours, 1995 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by UM Rebel View Post
    That sounds worse than a vacuum leak. Maybe blown head gasket. Did you recently have plugs changed? Might check if all plugs are in tight.
    It probably isn't the heads. To be honest, it sounds too loud to be inside the engine. It almost sounds like a fan or a pulley is slapping something.

You say the coolant level has always been the same?

Does the noise increase with RPM? If you open the oil filler hole and stick your ear to it, is the noise louder? It really sounds like something outside the engine rather than inside...

Have you pulled codes on your car? There is a sticky at the top of the forum that will tell you how to do it. Post the codes and the definitions in this post. It will be able to assist us further.

no i haven't changed them or messed with them[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_man View Post
    It probably isn't the heads. To be honest, it sounds too loud to be inside the engine. It almost sounds like a fan or a pulley is slapping something.

You say the coolant level has always been the same?

Does the noise increase with RPM? If you open the oil filler hole and stick your ear to it, is the noise louder? It really sounds like something outside the engine rather than inside...

Have you pulled codes on your car? There is a sticky at the top of the forum that will tell you how to do it. Post the codes and the definitions in this post. It will be able to assist us further.
    yes the coolant stays the same just loses a lil bit of it i can still see it in the tank....and the noise goes faster the more power i give it but the noise dose not increase with the oil cap of and it sounds like its coming from the water-pump pulley area....and its starting to smell like gas after i turn it on and feels like its gonna shut off by itself...i haven't really let it run for long im scared it might get worse or mess something else up ...can i run the codes with the car not turned on but the key in it with a half a turn?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

that sure sounds like a blown out spark plug
    UM Rebel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakster View Post
    ...can i run the codes with the car not turned on but the key in it with a half a turn?
    You sure can. You can run codes with accessory power.

It is funny you mentioned that it sounded like it came from the water pump area. When the camera slightly moved that way, it sounded like it got louder.

It could be a bad water pump. I have never had to replace one or had one go bad. Same with a seized pulley, so I cannot tell you what that sounds like.

However, with a wrench and some sockets, you can remove the water pump pulley cover and take a look. See what the belt looks like. However, I believe the pump would run with the RPMs, so it may not be that. But it does not hurt to take a look. Should be two nuts on the bottom, and one nut/bolt on the side near the throttle body. Take it off and take a look. Maybe the belt is frayed.

Can you describe the fuel smell? The fuel smell could be a vacuum leak somewhere. Does the car hesitate at idle, or seem like it is going to stall?

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    that sure sounds like a blown out spark plug
    Would that cause a miss fire as well? That could explain the gas smell. Maybe it is one of the plugs closest to the water pump. 6 or 8...?

Final edit, it does sound quite a bit like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ewZ0tSpAw

Basscatt it did do a popping sound at first like a blew a couple of farts in the highway then never heard that sound again and it does sound exactly like that video arctic man posted...artic man i have changed the water pump of this car before and it didn't make that noise it just leaked a lil im gonna try and run the codes

----------

these are the codes i got back from the test IPM B0429, PCM P0300, RFA B3109

Quote Originally Posted by Drakster View Post
    Basscatt it did do a popping sound at first like a blew a couple of farts in the highway then never heard that sound again and it does sound exactly like that video arctic man posted...artic man i have changed the water pump of this car before and it didn't make that noise it just leaked a lil im gonna try and run the codes

----------

these are the codes i got back from the test IPM B0429, PCM P0300, RFA B3109
    While we do like definitions, the one that currently matters is P0300. Random miss-fire detected. Bring the car to a place with a scanner, and it will tell you which cylinder is miss-firing. I bet that is your foul plug. Or likewise, start pulling plugs and you will probably find the culprit pretty quick.

I am assuming you have a check engine light too?

yes i had the problem before it would feel ruff and kinda stutter and they changed the front ignition coil and it started doing it all over again a couple of days later but i dont think they changed the spark plugs....and how can u tell if the spark plug is bad will it be broken or burnt black...and yes the check engine comes on stays on or starts blinking.

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

Try not to drive the car much at all with the SES blinking; because that signifies a bad misfire which can lead to destroying the catalytic converter by dumping raw gas into it - not cheap to fix.
    UM Rebel likes this.

yea i think that's what i heard when it started farting loud it sounded like it was coming from the converter

UM Rebel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville FWD, 2004 Corvette LeMans comemerative 'vert

Quote Originally Posted by 70cougar View Post
    Try not to drive the car much at all with the SES blinking; because that signifies a bad misfire which can lead to destroying the catalytic converter by dumping raw gas into it - not cheap to fix.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    What 70 cougar said.
    If you've got a close by Autozone or access to a code scanner, run a code scan to find what cyl or cyls are misfiring. I'm still betting broken or loose sparkplug. Post what you find out.

BTW the best the onboard scanner can do is P0300 - Random misfire. An external scanner can usually pinpoint the cyl at fault, like P0301, P0302, etc)

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

^
    ^
    ^
    What 70 cougar said.
    If you've got a close by Autozone or access to a code scanner, run a code scan to find what cyl or cyls are misfiring. I'm still betting broken or loose sparkplug. Post what you find out.

BTW the best the onboard scanner can do is P0300 - Random misfire. An external scanner can usually pinpoint the cyl at fault, like P0301, P0302, etc)

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
    still haven't got around to fix it but ill keep you guys posted thx again for ur tips guys

ok guys i did a scan with a a D900 EOBD/OBDII live data hand held scanner and i got these codes back....P0306 cylinder 6 misfire and Fuel Sys1...OL Fault and Fuel Sys2....OL Fault .......does this mean the fuel injectors in 1 and 2 cylinders are messed up?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm not sure what "Fuel Sys1...OL Fault and Fuel Sys2" means, but I suspect it may be bank 1 & 2 vs cylinder 1 & 2.

"OL" Operating Lean maybe?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.