Keeping a '97 NS running well
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Keeping a '97 NS running well in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; In 2001 I bought my first NorthStar, a '97 DeVille with 48K. Today I have just over 60K on the ...
    mdogg1950 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 DeVille '97 DeVille

Keeping a '97 NS running well

In 2001 I bought my first NorthStar, a '97 DeVille with 48K. Today I have just over 60K on the car. I change the oil and filter faithfully, as well as the air filter. I have not changed the fuel filter yet.
    My question is: Are there any other filters I should be aware of, or any tune up/maintenance items I might be missing?
    By the way, this is one helluva car, and has completely met my expectations!
    Thanks to all,
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Keeping a '97 NS running well

Coolant is the biggie. If should have been changed in '02. Due again in '07. If it hasn't been done, do it now and don't forget the cooling system suppliment aka sealant tabs.

At 100k you may be due for a tune up (plugs and wires). I had to do mine earlier because of the fuel rail recall. Have you had that done?

Also at 100K I drained and refilled the trans fluid, though the manual says it should be good for the life of the car unless you use it in severe service (taxi, towing, dusty areas etc) but I do it at 100k regardless. DO NOT let anyone talk you into a flush.

I am selling my '97 Deville tomorrow with 107K and have never changed the fuel filter. Usually don't need to as the filling stations have filters on the pumps I believe. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts running bad. Others may disagree. It certainly won't hurt. As our former Guru once said, "It's just along for the ride. Change it when and if it needs it".

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

A good test for the condition of your car is your performance. Is your gas mileage stable? Does it start easily?

mdogg1950 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 DeVille '97 DeVille

Ranger, why are you opposed to a transmission flush compared to just draining it? Unnecessary expense?
    (I did fuel rail recall.)

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mdogg1950
    Ranger, why are you opposed to a transmission flush compared to just draining it? Unnecessary expense?
    (I did fuel rail recall.)
    When they do a transmission flush, they are pumping around potentially old fluid (from the last guy's car) in ways it would not normally be pumped around inside your transmission. That last guy who got his transmission flushed is likely to have done it because he had transmission problems or very old fluid, and may have had tons of crap accumulated in his transmission. The process could stir up all the crud that's settled at the bottom of the transmission pan as well, possibly including the metal shavings and clutch material that's accumulated on the pan magnet. Do you want all that stuff getting circulated through your transmission? While it sounds good that "more fluid gets replaced," what doesn't happen is a filter change, and stuff gets stirred up and agitated in ways that would normally not happen. Lots of transmissions have blown up not long after transmission flushes. DON'T DO IT. Just drain the fluid, clean the screens, and refill with fresh Dexron-III (or whatever is required for your particular car). DO NOT OVERFILL THE TRANSMISSION FLUID!!!
    Mike

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Remember when you drop the trans pan to drain the fluid and clean the pickup screens that there is a hidden drain plug for the oil in the side cover. It is located in the trans body under the lower pan towards the left side of the car under the trans side cover area. The trans stores oil in the side cover so you have to drain it when the lower pan is off to get the majority of the oil out.

Do not flush. Just drain the lower pan and side cover and clean the pickup screens. No filter to replace in normal service for the 4T80E.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No, money has nothing to do with it. To add to what Mcowden and Chevelle said, go to the top left of this page, click on Technical Archives and read up on trans flushing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.