Long crank startups
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Long crank startups in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; If my N* takes long cranks to start(sometimes) otherwise runs perfect, what does this mean? Replaced plugs & wires and ...
    weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Long crank startups

If my N* takes long cranks to start(sometimes) otherwise runs perfect, what does this mean? Replaced plugs & wires and fuel filter, cleaned injectors, checked the battery and FPR. Since the FPR is a common failure part should I replace it anyway? My mpg is great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Long crank startups

When you checked the FPR was there any evidence of gas? just the strong odor? Couple of guys used the hand held vacuum pumps and saw a leak that they didn't find just by checking. If you're thinking of building up some tools the hand pumps are really handy at times.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by weister42
    If my N* takes long cranks to start(sometimes) otherwise runs perfect, what does this mean? Replaced plugs & wires and fuel filter, cleaned injectors, checked the battery and FPR. Since the FPR is a common failure part should I replace it anyway? My mpg is great.
    When I put Bosch plugs in my car a long time ago, it never started very well until I changed them with good plugs. If you put Bosch platinums in there, replace them with the 41-950 Delcos and I'd bet your car will start much better.

If you don't have access to a handheld vacuum pump to test the FPR, see if you can locate one and hook it up to the FPR. If it holds a vacuum, it's ok. If not, replace it. I checked mine probably 10 times and it never leaked but I had starting problems. I put a vacuum on it and it wouldn't hold. Replaced the FPR and now it starts almost instantly.
    Mike

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Most likely the FPR. It fixed my hard start problem when nothing else was showing. They seem to be problematic. Any codes?

Ya it did throw codes after this one night, but the check engine light went away by itself two days after. I was cranking my stereo real loud that night so that might have something to do with it. The codes are PO106 and PO606. I have AC-Delco plugs and NAPA's best wire but I didn't "gap" the plugs. Car was fine until recently, soon after I installed a stereo.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Car was fine until recently, soon after I installed a stereo.
    That is a big red flag.

You should always check the gap on new plugs.

Well if the gaping for plugs are wrong then shouldn't the problem occur right after I put them in? They were installed more than 6 months ago and have about 5000 miles on them. I took out my stereo leaving only the headunit and a 4 channel amp but I still have long cranks every so often.

How do I replace a FPR? I'm going to try that first.

Yes, if the plug gaps where way off, it would have shown up immediately. I just mention checking the gaps on new plugs before installation as a matter of fact.

Test the FPR before replacing it. No sense in replacing good parts. If you need to R & R it, depressurize the fuel system, pull the vacuum hose off and then pull the "U" shaped retainer that holds it in the rail. There should be an "O" ring in there to seal it. Pay atention to it and if a new one comes with the new FPR, make sure the old one comes out. Lube the "O" ring with a drop or two of engine oil or easy assembly.

Turns out my stereo has nothing to do with it, and my car only has long cranks if it has been sitting for half an hour or so, otherwise it starts fine. Checked battery, alt, fuel filter/injector, plugs & wires changed 8 months ago, just changed the fuel pump relay today. I think it is the FPR but I don't have time to take a look at it. How do I go about checking the FPR again? I don't have any fancy tools

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The instructions are in the tech tips section.

I called the dealership to order the FPR and they said they need to know if my fuel rail is nylon or metal (braided steel maybe?). I'm going to check it today.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I called the dealership to order the FPR and they said they need to know if my fuel rail is nylon or metal (braided steel maybe?). I'm going to check it today.
    If you have a '98, I think those were nylon fuel rails, but you should check to be sure nonetheless. The dealership is going to charge you through the nose for the part. You can get the same part for a lot less money from www.rockauto.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com. You'll still need to know which fuel rail you have. Installation of the new FPR takes about 5 minutes start to finish and the effects are immediate.

Let us know what you do and how it works out... Save yourself the bux and get it somewhere else, too!
    Mike

'95 - '97 were recalled and the nylon rails were replaced with stainless steel. Yours is most likely still nylon.

Not to sound dumb but I see two rails coming out of the FPR and they are silver...so I think it's stainless steel.

Hmm, '98 was not included in the recall and I believe still had the nylon rails. That doesn't mean that someone did not replace them at their own cost, either out of precaution or because of a leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.