Northstar Coolant Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Coolant Questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; In regards to the coolant loss problems with the Northstar.... What kind of sealing pellets need to be used? Are ...
    zkmann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado NS, 03 CTS

Question Northstar Coolant Questions

In regards to the coolant loss problems with the Northstar.... What kind of sealing pellets need to be used? Are the pellets available only from the dealer or are there after market products available that will also work? What type of anti-freeze should be used with these engines?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Re: Northstar Coolant Questions

GM pellets available at any GM dealer (cheaper at a Chevy dealer than Cadillac) or Barsleak Gold pellets. Ranger knows the part number I believe.

zkmann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado NS, 03 CTS

Kev,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm familar with the Barsleak product. What type of antifreeze goes into the Northstar engines? Is it the orange or the green? I've never had to go into this engine before so I want to pick up the supplies first.
    Thanks again.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zkmann
    Kev,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm familar with the Barsleak product. What type of antifreeze goes into the Northstar engines? Is it the orange or the green? I've never had to go into this engine before so I want to pick up the supplies first.
    Thanks again.
    In a 96 or newer car, they used DexCool, which is the orange stuff. Prior to 96, use the green stuff. Mix it 50/50 with distilled water (NOT tap water) and put 2 tubes of the Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder or 6 of the pellets (either GM pellets or the large size Bar's Leaks pellets) in whichever hose is easier. Do not put the pellets or powder in the surge tank. They will just sit there and could plug up the vapor vent line, causing problems. In the hose only. Green coolant needs to be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles. Orange stuff goes for 5 years or 100k miles.
    Mike

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Hey Mike,
    Can one over do the sealant. When my rad was replaced a few thou ago I'm not sure if the GM tech put the sealant in?? Would it hurt for me to add the Bar's Leak??
    _chuck.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by krimson_cardnal
    Hey Mike,
    Can one over do the sealant. When my rad was replaced a few thou ago I'm not sure if the GM tech put the sealant in?? Would it hurt for me to add the Bar's Leak??
    _chuck.
    It won't hurt anything to add the supplement, but you will lose a little coolant in the process. Just be sure to use distilled water and whichever coolant your car needs. If I was you, I'd get 2 tubes of the powder stuff and dump it in the upper hose. You'll make less mess that way. You can drain the radiator via the drain valve at the bottom, just enough to empty the upper hose. That way, you don't have to clean up a bunch of coolant from the floor. Once the hose is empty, shut the valve, take off one end of the upper hose, dump the stuff in, put it back on, refill system. Voila! Properly supplementized system and peace of mind for little cost.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out...
    Mike

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by krimson_cardnal
    Hey Mike,
    _chuck.
    I think "Rob" once said it is pretty hard to overdose it. If memory serves me, he said 20 might be too much

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Thanks guys,
    I like the idea of "...peace of mind for little cost."

'specially around Cadillacs!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.