92-97 STS exhaust, what ya'll got?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 92-97 STS exhaust, what ya'll got? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i can only find corsa systems for the 98-up, and their pretty expensive anyway. what have you pre-98 owners done ...
    STS
    STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

92-97 STS exhaust, what ya'll got?

i can only find corsa systems for the 98-up, and their pretty expensive anyway. what have you pre-98 owners done to help improve the performance/sound of your exhaust?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    I think with the 92-97 generation, replacement of the mufflers and custom piping are what's most prevalent. I think a lot of folks are running Dynomax mufflers. If I were to upgrade my mufflers, I think I'd go with Borla. I have a lot of good experiences with them and their quality is top-notch. You pay for it in the price, but I really believe you're getting that in the product.

I've also had good results with Dynomax in the past, and even have one on my truck right now. I believe that if it were my Cadillac, though, I'd go with Borla. 100% personal opinion.

Check in the Allante forum on this page. Don has a set of Borlas on his '93 Northstar Allante and I can't wait to hear that setup when I meet up with him at Bristol this spring. Anyone else wanna come race?! Let's get a big Cadillac crowd out there.

Northstar32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Jad, in your past experiences with Borla, how long have they lasted for you? I live in Canada, and it seems that every after-market exhaust system seems to last approx 2 years, 3 MAX due to the Snow and corrosive salt . I'm almost tempted to go to GM and get a stock exhaust.
    Any suggestions for my geographical climate?

We've had a Borla cat-back on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's lasted since we've installed it 5 years ago. We live in the mid-Atlantic, so salt isn't too bad. If I recall correctly, all Borla stuff is stainless steel, meaning unless it gets damaged somehow, rust shouldn't be a problem.

93 Lac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Man, I am heavily interested in what I can do my 93. I say about 30 more horses oughta do it. I hope more people respond to this.

I'd say to get 30 horses, you'll have to do mufflers, a chip, a larger throttle body, and a good intake system. The stock intake is good for stock engines. If you do multiple modifications to your vehicle, you'll probably benefit from a better intake system.

93 Lac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Where can i get this intake system? I have looked everwhere for one and cant seem to find anything.

You can't -- you have to make one. If you embark on this journey, be sure to corroborate that intake with some other mods, or you'll likely not get any positive results. Mods have to work together and if all else is stock on your engine, the factory intake system has enough capacity to serve the engine. Very little gain will be seen with an intake alone. That's been my experience, and the experience of someone who just emailed me yesterday, saying he wish he saw my site before he wasted 70 bucks on an intake because he got the same results as I. I'll post that under a separate topic.

Wow, your Borla Exhaust has lasted you 5 years? that would be well worth the money, although, I don't think I would have the same result. I live in the Canadian climate, and every winter, the REALLY SALT the roads HEAVILY. Extremely corrosive.
    I have found aftermarket exhaust systems to not last more than 3 years max, because their pipes are not as thick as GM stock.
    What do you think?

If it's stainless steel, it will not rust -- not unless you damage it somehow. GM systems are good because many of them are stainless steel.

Thanks for the useful info Jason, my exhaust system looks like it's gonna go at any time now. Some holes are starting to rust through, but it's not loud yet....so hopefully I've got a few more months.

Resonator or no resonator? Any comments?

Resonator! If it's there from the factory, it's always there for a reason. You may get 2 hp for removing it, but you also might get some resonance (a droning sound) at certain rpms too. Compromises... I say, stay stock.

Well, I kinda like that deep low throaty sound the STS gives, but it would be nice if it was a little louder. Personal pref. would a catback exhaust give this effect?

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    A catback will give you more sound under idle and WOT, but at a cost. You can spend $1,200.00+ on a Corsa or Borla catback or cobble up your own with just the mufflers. I tried to get info on a Corsa, but they had no application for my Caddy. I bought the mufflers from Husker High Performance for about $90.00 each with S&H and had a local muffler shop bend the pipes and install two Borlas where my single stock Cadillac muffler was. Check out the link to hear the Corsa exhaust on a Northstar.

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashcadillac.htm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.