Turbos put back?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Would it work?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Turbos put back? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was thinking about the turbo thing as I was talking to elwesso. Since the engine compartment is packed, would ...
    Sinister Angel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A boat

Turbos put back?

I was thinking about the turbo thing as I was talking to elwesso.

Since the engine compartment is packed, would it be possible to mount the turbos under the car and back a little ways (shielded from the crap that gets kicked up, of course), then have a return line comming back to the intake manifold?

I know that turbo lag would be an issue, but I think when it finally kicks in, you are gone.

Just one of my random thoughts.

-Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Re: Turbos put back?

The piping will kill you. Even if you manage to find room under the car (which is asking for it on something as low as the caddy's already) and if you manage to pipe the exhaust in well, bringing it back up to the engine will require a lot of work sadly. Part of the difficulty is the fact that it's transverse, AND FWD, so a lot of stuff crammed there already. You might, and I mean MIGHT, be able to pipe it up to the front of the car, in the bumper region to route, but you'd be doing a LOT of piping. The perhaps best I could see, is mount the turbo under the motor on the pass side, run piping up to the front bumper, toss an intercooler along the bottom opening (bottom area of the radiator) then route the rest of the piping up in through the stock airbox region. However, that's still not what I would call a desired layout.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

You could also relocate the battery and or eliminate the airbox...

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

If you're pullin the battery, plug in a s/c, run the piping out across the front and intercool it I say. But that's just me.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Id think that would be the more feasible option..

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Hot Rod Dec 2003 issue has an article about turbo basics.
    Popular Hot Rodding Jan 2004 has an article about building a 64 Malibu project car "Malitude". This issue has them building the turbo setup and has some good tips on scratch building.
    The Caddy could be turbo'd by running the rear exhaust forward and mounting the turbo in front of the engine. I think there would be room to run the exhaust under the engine twice.
    With the head bolt problems on the N* I'd want to be conservative on boost so running smaller pipes might be a good idea anyway.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Oh yeah,
    I agree with shadowlvr and elwesso about moving things to make room.I had that in mind when I typed the first reply.

epanightmare is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    Oh yeah,
    I agree with shadowlvr and elwesso about moving things to make room.I had that in mind when I typed the first reply.
    Why not cut the down pipe just after it merges together mount a flange and a single turbo in the trans tunnel that way the turbo is as close as posible to the exaust ports. This should help the turbo spool up faster reducing turbo lag. then the rest of the exaust can just be run from the turbo to the back of the car. It will keep the weight and down and make the system easyer to install. I think there might be enough room to run a pipe the between the crossmember and the body, over the trans and into the front of the car for a front mount inter cooler..any more ideas........

Dubya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

what ever happened to the XMS project??? is it possible for them to make new stronger headgaskets, but a little bit thicker to lower the compression a little bit?

it would be so much fun!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.