Coolant Problem Eatin My Money!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant Problem Eatin My Money!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey this is my first post in this forum but i been readin a lot and i learned a lot ...
    Iluvmycady69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Coolant Problem Eatin My Money!!!!

hey this is my first post in this forum but i been readin a lot and i learned a lot of valuable stuff about my car.........anyways since i bougth my car (1996 cadillac deville northstar) out of the dealer its been givin me a lot of problems, the car kept loosin coolant and goin on high temperatures every 5-7 days so at first i was told it was a bad radiator, so i changed it....same problem and we noticed so leakin on some hoses so i changed the big one and some other one.....so then the car still kept gettin hot and kept throwin the water out of that little hose which i call the emergency hose so i changed the thermo because my fans werent runnin........bingo my fans started runnin on the temp of 220 which I've read there suppose to run.........but the car was still losin coolant by the same little hose, so then i went to change the water pump....and guess what???!!!!!............the car its still doin the same shit well finally my mechanic checked the thermostat and said it was no good so he opened a hole in it and left it there...so now the car doesnt throw the water out but still heats up like crazy about 250 from just runnin it one or two blocks........i was told it has to be the headgaskets and i know if it is that i know im gonna be spendin some good money to get my car runnin good again.....I will really appretiate if u guys can help me out on this problem ....thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Coolant Problem Eatin My Money!!!!

If the mecahnic said the thermostat was no good, why didn't he replace it? I'd start there. Replace it. Then make sure the water pump belt tensioner is not rusted at the pivot point and it is providing enough tension and not slipping. Make sure the cap is holding 15 psi. Check the purge line to be sure it is free flowing and not plugged. If all that is ok, then do a cylinder pressure test to confirm head gasket failure.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    If the mecahnic said the thermostat was no good, why didn't he replace it? I'd start there. Replace it. Then make sure the water pump belt tensioner is not rusted at the pivot point and it is providing enough tension and not slipping. Make sure the cap is holding 15 psi. Check the purge line to be sure it is free flowing and not plugged. If all that is ok, then do a cylinder pressure test to confirm head gasket failure.
    Yup. What he said.
    Mike

Thanx for the quick reply ranger!!!..........well im guessin he dint change it (the thermostat) because i was there for my water pump changed and his job was done, so he had a lot of work to do and just wanted to give me a quick fix. well the thermo i can change anyway because its cheap.....I have already changed the cap so im guessin its good because it is new, but can u explain how do i make sure if its holdin 15psi? another question, since you mentioned the water pump belt tensioner i was always hearin a tickin sound which i think is from there ,well i was told it was a belt i need to change, if its the belt that you mentioned, can that be my problem? a belt? well ill have that checked out anyway, Also I called a friend of my dads (who is a mechanic) and he is gonna do the cylinder pressure test to confirm head gasket failure, I will keep you updated and again thanks.

The cap can be checked by a hand held pump that is used to pressurize the cooling system with an adapter. I would doubt that any shop would even charge you for it if you broght it in there.

The ticking sounds like a bad belt but I wouldn't think it would cause an over heat problem unless it was slipping and that would most likely be caused by the tensioner.

Don't forget to check the purge line. If it is plugged, the system cannot purge itself of air and you will over heat.

dhs
    dhs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Dam I would be pissed at the mechanic if I were you! I had a leak on my 2000 too, they put in some pellets and everything's been fine ever since.

cylinder pressure test was done today and I was told I had some head gasket problems, next plan was to put something to seal the gasket the mechanic and myself put a liquid (dont remember the brand) that says permanent metallic . well i followed the insturctions and its done so i gotta let it dry and I will see if it worke tommorrow. This is a real blow to me because I know if it doesnt work im gonna be so ****ed!! well ranger can you tell me what is the purge line? Is it the big hose?? thanx guys and any advice will be greatly welcomed.

No, the purge line is the 3/8" line that runs from the water pump housing, along the front cam cover to the surge tank.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that stuff is just hope in a bottle. If it does anything at all it will be temporary at best. There is only one way to fix a bad head gasket.

bill6ft6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i am so sick of "head gasket" problems. if the frigging head bolts would hold tight, the gasket would be fine. it is a desighn flaw PERIOD. My dead 97 sits in the back yard. i'm driving a mercedes benz w 126 now. check out the m-b forums, you won't hear all the complaints on the engine.
    that northstar broke my heart. i loved the WOT plus the great gas milage.
    (and don't give me that crap about poorly maintained cooling system--not the case)

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

No, but I will give you the crap about my friends MB ( this is a real friend, not made up ) and the blown head gasket. There are plenty of complaints about that.

A guy I work with just traded in a 2001 Tahoe with leaking head gaskets and a blown trans. About 50K.

All the mfgs are havn trouble. I'd suspect torque to yield bolts as part of the problem but have no proof.

bill6ft6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ok zonie. i'll go with that, but i bet the headgasket didn't cost 4 grand to fix.
    really, look at the forum topics and how many deal with the "headgasket"?
    all cars can screw up, but this problem is so much larger than admitted.

Pjs
    Pjs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Call your MB dealer and ask how much to replace your headgaskets....

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Pjs
    Call your MB dealer and ask how much to replace your headgaskets....
    Yeah, no kidding! Or a PCV valve, or a fuel pump. Hell, a new headlight for your car cost around $800, and that was about 15 years ago! If you went to the M-B thinking you'd save money on maintenance and repair costs, you certainly have bad news coming...
    Mike

a lot of cadillacs from 96 got does kinda problems? I love this car but damm its really givin me some headaches, I regret the day i let my friend convinced me into gettin a cadi (he owns the same cadillac and his got ****ed up before mine) , my car is just sittin in my parkin lot lookin pretty, i wont dare to run it because it heats up and i dont wanna get it worse. well i just wanted to ask a question, Is it a good idea fixin a head gasket? or should i just rebuild the motor? I have spend to much money on fixin my car up startin with a non shiftin transmission, so i really wanna c her runnin........plz some advice........what abut those pellets that every one talks about? will that fix the headgasket problem? my car seems a lil wet by spark plug number 2 and 4 i think so i know it has to be a headgasket problem.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

On the MB it was over $3K and they didn't have to pull the engine!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.