update - starting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, update - starting in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just something for you to keep in the back of your minds or search on at a later date. I ...
    EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

update - starting

Just something for you to keep in the back of your minds or search on at a later date. I wanted to wait until I put a few miles on the car before I was sure it was fixed;
    My '99 STS was taking multiple attempts at cranking to start the car. It was intermittent, but got steadily worse. It didn't matter if the car or outside temp was hot or cold.
    I changed the plugs first - no help. Ah well, they had 70K on them anyway. Next I inspected the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Early on in the problem, no fuel was coming out but I thought I could smell fuel if I got up close. Weeks later when the problem was worse, I revisited the FPR. This time it was leaking. I ordered a new one from Rockauto.com. It was an easiy swap. The problem is gone. It starts easily on the first attempt everytime now..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: update - starting

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    Just something for you to keep in the back of your minds or search on at a later date. I wanted to wait until I put a few miles on the car before I was sure it was fixed;
    My '99 STS was taking multiple attempts at cranking to start the car. It was intermittent, but got steadily worse. It didn't matter if the car or outside temp was hot or cold.
    I changed the plugs first - no help. Ah well, they had 70K on them anyway. Next I inspected the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Early on in the problem, no fuel was coming out but I thought I could smell fuel if I got up close. Weeks later when the problem was worse, I revisited the FPR. This time it was leaking. I ordered a new one from Rockauto.com. It was an easiy swap. The problem is gone. It starts easily on the first attempt everytime now..
    Good show! Glad you got it figured out. I just went through a very similar problem. Ranger suggested I put a vacuum pump on the FPR to see if it would hold a vacuum. It didn't. I never saw any fuel come out of it with the car running or stopped. Don't know why, but it only leaked when under a vacuum. Replaced FPR, starts and runs like a dream again. For anyone wondering, replacing the FPR is a 5-minute job that can be done with either no tools or 1, depending on which intake cover you have. Get the replacement part and do it in your garage for a lot less than it would cost to take it to a mechanic or <gasp> a $tealer$hip.

Motor on...
    Mike

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS, 2002 Deville DTS/ Now with Navigation!

Re: update - starting

I too had the same problem I searched the forum and asked for help and was directed in the right direction (FPR). It was actually an easy diagnose and fix. My car is now starting like it should. No more embarrassing cranks before it would start. By the way before I came to this forum I called the dealer and they told me if it's the FPR, it would be around $300+ to fix. I paid 56.00 and did it myself in 5 minutes. Talk about highway robbery, Go figure..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.