Reliability of 2005 and beyond Northstar-powered cars
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Reliability of 2005 and beyond Northstar-powered cars in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've read on this forum that GM somewhat addressed the headgasket issue in year 2000 and revamped the headbolts around ...
    wingman0121 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Reliability of 2005 and beyond Northstar-powered cars

I've read on this forum that GM somewhat addressed the headgasket issue in year 2000 and revamped the headbolts around 2005, so I assume all the Northstar-equipped vehicles from 2005 and beyond should resist the headgasket issue much better than the ones made prior to. However, I've been looking at the used Cadillac market and saw bad headgaskets in 2005+ Cadillacs and 2004~2005 Pontiac Bonnevilles, there aren't a bunch but definitely a noticeable amount. The LH2 Northstars that goes into RWD/AWD caddies seem to fare better but I haven't been looking at them a whole lot so I don't know.

Am I better off looking at a 2005 Cadillac, the 2006~2011 Caddies, or the RWD/AWD STS?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    HG issues after '04 are pretty rare, but they aren't "common" after '99 either, and ANY car can have any mechanical issue. Just buy a good example of the model you want. If you're going to be worrying about HG issues, then you'd be better off looking at a different car altogether. No sense owning it if you're.constantly worrying about it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Reliability of 2005 and beyond Northstar-powered cars

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

"Reliability of .............. "

Same as any other motor vehicle on earth................ some bad, most good.

Buy a H3 or a Prius

Prius = no HG's.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It has a 4-cylinder engine in a real Rube Goldberg setup for propulsion/charging. Probably a nightmare to work on. Prius drivers are two rungs further down the ladder from BMW drivers.
    Attached Images

Oh I forgot the Prius does have a gas engine. Guess that would rule out the no HG theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    "Reliability of .............. "

Same as any other motor vehicle on earth................ some bad, most good.

Buy a H3 or a Prius

I'm asking about Cadillacs and you're telling me to go buy a Hummer H3 or a Prius?

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

the 00-03 northstars fail just as much as the pre - 00 . if you would see our order list you would see. yes 04+ with the 2.0 thread pitch helped alot!! but didn't quite solve the problem. Jake in the last month or so has done an 06 lucerne, 04 bonneville, and right now he is working on an 04 Deville. thats just the 04+. there is a couple 2000+ on waiting list right now to get done.

----------

the reason the pre 00 seem to fail more is because there were twice as many made, look at the production numbers, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...93-2009-a.html
    Replacing the Head Gaskets on a Northstar? Use our SureGrip Cylinder Head Stud Kit!

http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php

Patent # 8,740,532, Other Patents Pending

Quote Originally Posted by 04GrandAmGT View Post
    the 00-03 northstars fail just as much as the pre - 00 . if you would see our order list you would see. yes 04+ with the 2.0 thread pitch helped alot!! but didn't quite solve the problem. Jake in the last month or so has done an 06 lucerne, 04 bonneville, and right now he is working on an 04 Deville. thats just the 04+. there is a couple 2000+ on waiting list right now to get done.

----------

the reason the pre 00 seem to fail more is because there were twice as many made, look at the production numbers, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...93-2009-a.html

I see, so would it be safe to say that this whole headgasket problem is not necessarily a "defect", more like wear and tear or from people babying it too much and it dies from carbon buildup? I'm looking more at the 2005 Deville.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No, it has absolutely nothing to do with babying or carbon (or driving hard for that matter). It's a design flaw that GM took WAY too long to even attempt to solve. However, it is blown out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    However, it is blown out of proportion.
    That's what I'm trying to say actually. Every single mechanic in my area just say "headgasket" if you tell them that your Northstar is running hotter than usual or losing coolant, I've been told about needing new headgaskets more than a few times throughout the years and so far every one of them is a lair (once for leaking water pump, once for leaking overflow tank, once for worn radiator cap, once for something real technical-sounding but I fixed it with coolant tabs). Most of the time I have to point them to the leak that I found to shut them up, I was even told that I needed a new ECM, all new injectors and intake manifold at one point. It really pisses me off that these mechanics tries to take advantage of people by giving them false diagnostics.

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

if they would do a simple hydro carbon test(block test) that would indicate if it has HG failure or Not, that test is about 99.9% accurate.
    Replacing the Head Gaskets on a Northstar? Use our SureGrip Cylinder Head Stud Kit!

http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php

Patent # 8,740,532, Other Patents Pending

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.