Harmonic Balancer Torque
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Harmonic Balancer Torque in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 93 Eldorado Touring Coupe N* I read many of the posts regarding the balancer replacement and was satisfied that the ...
    raymondk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 88 CPE DV, 93 ELDO TOURING

Harmonic Balancer Torque

93 Eldorado Touring Coupe N* I read many of the posts regarding the balancer replacement and was satisfied that the proper tightening proceedure was 37 FT-Lbs + 120 degrees. So I did that. Out of curiosity I looked in my FSM and it says 105 Ft-Lbs + 120 degrees. To get the 120 degrees took holding on with everything I had and pushing the wrench with my foot. Its all together now running over 50 miles. Do I need to go back and try for a few more degrees, loosen and retighten with the 105 FT-Lbs, or is it OK?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Re: Harmonic Balancer Torque

The whole reason for the procedure is to clamp the oil pump collar to the crankshaft so it can't slip and drop the oil pressure. Do you think any slippage could occur with the push you put on that wrench? That pump couldn't be pumping more than 60 lbs and the torque to do that is all you have to overcome.
    I think you are OK as is.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by raymondk View Post
    93 Eldorado Touring Coupe N* I read many of the posts regarding the balancer replacement and was satisfied that the proper tightening proceedure was 37 FT-Lbs + 120 degrees. So I did that. Out of curiosity I looked in my FSM and it says 105 Ft-Lbs + 120 degrees. To get the 120 degrees took holding on with everything I had and pushing the wrench with my foot. Its all together now running over 50 miles. Do I need to go back and try for a few more degrees, loosen and retighten with the 105 FT-Lbs, or is it OK?

I thought the same thing but I saw a couple of posts about them slipping and the expert posts were adamant about using the given proceedure. I'm not sure I could move it anyway.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

I have a way of countering the "experts" with common sense.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by raymondk View Post
    I thought the same thing but I saw a couple of posts about them slipping and the expert posts were adamant about using the given proceedure. I'm not sure I could move it anyway.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
    I have a way of countering the "experts" with common sense.
    Dave
    As Stephen Foster once penned: "Beautiful Dreamer".

Is it somehow possible that differing year engines have differing torque + degree settings for the crank pulley (it's not really a harmonic balancer) bolt ?

I'd like to see the printed quote from the GM manual for a 1993 Northstar that said "105 lb/ft?" + degrees. Nobody's kidding anyone - 105 lb/ft is a LOT of initial torque - even for head bolts.

Curious that the OP did not look in his service manual FIRST .............................. FWIW, the 2000 and later FWD engine crank bolt spec is 37 lb/ft + 120 degrees.

Here's the FSM proceedure in jpeg. Sorry bout the quality but I couldn't get it small enough.
    Attached Images

Thanks for posting that there is a difference. It's good info...........

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that's TIGHT!
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

My goodness, 105 lb ft + 120 degrees would be like impossible to torque.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Now, that's interesting?

Why the difference?

Either different crank pulley hubs, oil pump drive sleeves, crank snout machining, other mechanicals.

There were several different cranks made as the model years progressed - a 2000 crank won't even come close to working in a 1999, and other stuff happened in the 1995-1996 change.

For accurate work on ANY of these cars the Bible is the proper year GM service manual set - no one has enough experience with the entire FWD Northstar vehicle line to be able to cover all the ins and outs in these forums. Much "car advice" is pretty generic and straightforward - but as always, the real truth on specifications and special procedures is "in the book".

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

The harmonic balancer bolt size did change mid 90's also IIRC. In the sticky somewhere it mentions the change.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.