Dex-Cool no longer made?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Dex-Cool no longer made? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After evacuvating from Houston to Austin last Wednesday/Thursday, I checked the surge tank on my '01 Eldo and it was ...
    Jack M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '01 Eldo ETC, '92 Allante

Dex-Cool no longer made?

After evacuvating from Houston to Austin last Wednesday/Thursday, I checked the surge tank on my '01 Eldo and it was a little low. When I asked for a gallon of 50/50 pre-mixed orange Dex-Cool at a parts store, they said neither it nor full strength was made any longer, but that Prestone has a yellow-colored replacement anti-freeze that is compatable with all coolants, including Dex-Cool.

I declined to buy the yellow stuff since I only wanted to put less than a pint in the tank, and missing that little amount should be OK during the trip back to Houston this morning.

Is Dex-Cool off the market now? And, if so, what is the recommended replacement coolant?

Thanks, Guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Re: Dex-Cool no longer made?

Hmm... I thought that it was the other way around. I can no longer find the "green stuff". All I see is Dex-Cool and that yellow "universal" crap!

I don't have a good feeling about it. Since each coolant used totally different chemistry (according to our ex-expert), how can one-coolant-fit-all?! I've asked here about the universal coolant, but I don't recall getting any worthy info back.

Peteski

Hus_Lac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DeVille

I found some 50/50 mix dex-cool at a local pepboys, but i wasn't able to find any at o'reillys and autozone. Don't know why.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jack M
    After evacuvating from Houston to Austin last Wednesday/Thursday, I checked the surge tank on my '01 Eldo and it was a little low. When I asked for a gallon of 50/50 pre-mixed orange Dex-Cool at a parts store, they said neither it nor full strength was made any longer, but that Prestone has a yellow-colored replacement anti-freeze that is compatable with all coolants, including Dex-Cool.

I declined to buy the yellow stuff since I only wanted to put less than a pint in the tank, and missing that little amount should be OK during the trip back to Houston this morning.

Is Dex-Cool off the market now? And, if so, what is the recommended replacement coolant?

Thanks, Guys.
    If they weren't making it any more, it wouldn't be new cars. It is in new cars. It's still being made. If you want to use the same stuff that comes in the car from the factory, you need the Texaco stuff. Read about it here:

http://www.texaco.com/texaco/prodsvc...oline_Extended

Prestone also makes a bright orange one, but I don't know where you can find it or why you're having problems finding it at common places. Rest assured it's still made and it still works fine.
    Mike

Jack M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '01 Eldo ETC, '92 Allante

Thanks, Guys. I'm guessing that the Austin auto parts store just wanted to sell some of their so-called compatible product pushed on them by their wholesaler. I got Dex-Cool at O'Reilly's last time, so they probably have it in now. I like the pre-mixed for topping off purposes.

Incidently, it took me 15 hours to get to Austin, 215 miles from my Houston area home. It was bumper-to-bumper most of the way, and the temperature guage was getting close to the red. Had to turn off the a/c several times and goose the rpms up at idle neutral to get it under control. Lots of other cars were breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by peteski
    Hmm... I thought that it was the other way around. I can no longer find the "green stuff". All I see is Dex-Cool and that yellow "universal" crap!

I don't have a good feeling about it. Since each coolant used totally different chemistry (according to our ex-expert), how can one-coolant-fit-all?! I've asked here about the universal coolant, but I don't recall getting any worthy info back.

Peteski
    You can put whatever coolant in your car that you need to get through an emergency. Mix the green and orange stuff if you have to, it will work just fine. The problem is that, when you put green (silicated) coolants in a previously DexCool system, you can not get back the long-life properties of DexCool. You will be relegated to changing the coolant at the green coolant intervals of 2 years or 30k miles (whatever it says on a bottle of green stuff). It won't hurt anything to mix them in the car, but you will lose the benefits of DexCool. Hopefully that makes sense.

The "universal" coolant that I've seen out there is more yellow in color and it is also non-silicated and contains additives to prevent corrosion for the same interval as DexCool. Even if the chemistry is not the same as DexCool, it is compatible as far as long life goes, so you should be able to run with it for 5 years or 150,000 miles, but consult the bottle for the full details. I felt confident enough in the chemistry that I'm running a gallon of the yellow "universal" stuff in my car now, mixed 50/50 with distilled water, and that's in addition to the 1+ gallons of Prestone orange DexCool coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water that was left in the system after I drained it to change the water pump cover seal. It's cooling just fine, and unless I have some other need to drain the coolant system before then, I plan to let it go for the full 5 years or 150k miles and I will not worry about it at all. My car has never had the green silicated coolants in it, so it should go the full life of the coolant without a problem.
    Mike

Well, that is all fine, but how compatible is the universal stuff with the silicated (green) stuff I use in my 93 and 85 Caddies?

How can it be ok to do a mix of silicated and non-silicated coolant?

Peteski

Quote Originally Posted by peteski
    Well, that is all fine, but how compatible is the universal stuff with the silicated (green) stuff I use in my 93 and 85 Caddies?

How can it be ok to do a mix of silicated and non-silicated coolant?

Peteski
    Good question, Peteski. I read up on the universal stuff, and it is also perfectly safe to mix it with green silicated coolants, but you have to change it at 2 years or 30k miles because of the silicates in the mix.

Surprisingly, Prestone says they guarantee a 5 year or 150k mile lifetime on the Universal coolant in a system that previously had green silicated coolants, provided you flush the system the way they want you to flush it. I did not find the flush procedure they recommend, but if that's all it takes, it might even be worth switching silicated systems over to the Universal stuff next time you swap coolant, if only to gain the added protection lifetime.

When you mix the Universal with DexCool, you can go to the full lifetime of 5 years or 150,000 miles.

So, with the universal (yellow) stuff, the consensus seems to be "mix to your heart's delight and change at the interval specified by the original stuff," or basically the lowest common denominator. If you follow the flushing procedure the universal manufacturer recommends, you can use the yellow stuff mixed up 50/50 with distilled water and go for 5 years or 150k miles.
    Mike

Thanks mcowden!

Peteski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.