Emissions Code on 1996 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Emissions Code on 1996 STS in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am a new user of the forum and could use some help on an emission problem. My 96 STS ...
    bugger6543 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Emissions Code on 1996 STS

I am a new user of the forum and could use some help on an emission problem.
    My 96 STS shows the code of 1406. The check "emissions soon" will intermintently scroll across the console. I have recently replaced the plugs, fuel and air filters. The throttle body was also cleaned. Any suggestions what I should do next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Emissions Code on 1996 STS

If that DTC is P1406, it translates to "P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit". Maybe the EGR valve connector is not seated properly?

Otherwise, the EGR valve could be crudded up and sticking. The pintle can be cleaned with a solvent such as GUMOUT. Be sure to NOT allow the GUMOUT inside the electrical (top) part of the valve; it will eat up the insulation on the coil wiring (not good).

Good luck.
    Jim

hollisl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check out: http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/how...vecleaning.htm. I did this on my '04, easy cleaning job.

Quote Originally Posted by bugger6543
    I am a new user of the forum and could use some help on an emission problem.
    My 96 STS shows the code of 1406. The check "emissions soon" will intermintently scroll across the console. I have recently replaced the plugs, fuel and air filters. The throttle body was also cleaned. Any suggestions what I should do next?

Thanks to both of the responses to my question. I did check the connections today but did not have time to clean the egr valve. I will let you know if that solves my problem.

I did remove the egr valve and cleaned it. After the cleaning I installed a new gasket, cleared the codes, and hoped for the best. The car has been running well for two weeks with no trouble codes.

Thanks for all the help.

Bugger 6543

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.