symtoms of bad wtr pump, 97 concours
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, symtoms of bad wtr pump, 97 concours in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; does anybody know the systoms of a bad water pump. will the water pump squeal some times,also what must be ...
    dan1ab is offline Cadillac Owners Member

symtoms of bad wtr pump, 97 concours

does anybody know the systoms of a bad water pump. will the water pump squeal some times,also what must be removed to replace the water pump, and others items needed when replacing the pump, besides the pump itself. any gaskets? maybe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carmaster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville STS

Re: symtoms of bad wtr pump, 97 concours

there's a pear shaped gasket on the water pump housing that should be replaced. I also put a new thermostat in and new clamps when I replaced my water pump.

bubba67801 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You also need a special tool to remove the water pump. I've never done it myself, just something that I've picked up reading other threads.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Tell-tale sign that the pump is going bag is when it starts leaking from the weap hole, means the seal is going out. If it is squealing, I would check the belt.

This is what the tool looks like:

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

There are a lot of posts around about the water pump and changing them. Do a search for it and youll find them.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

As Eldyfig suggested, the seal can start leaking between the drive pulley and actual pump. If that's leaking, the solution is to replace the pump cartridge. You'll need the tool shown above. The new pump is AC-Delco part number 252707 for your car, and it costs about $55-$75 depending on where you go. I would look on www.gmpartsdirect.com or www.rockauto.com for a good price. The new pump will come with a rubber O-ring seal that goes behind the pump, but it does not come with the water pump cover gasket, and I would recommend buying that separately and replacing it at the same time.

When you do this, make sure to clean off all of the gasket sealing surfaces very thoroughly with something that won't damage the finished surface. (plastic putty knife, maybe) Some crud can accumulate in some of those areas, and you should clean it all up well before you put it back together. No need to be taking the thing apart again to fix a leaking gasket caused by crud that didn't get cleaned up while you were in there.

Refilling the system, be sure to use Dex-Cool coolant (orange stuff) and get 2 tubes of Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder or 6 Bar's Leaks or GM coolant supplement pellets. If you get the pellets, put them in the radiator hose, DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE SURGE TANK!!! If you get the powdered stuff, mix it in with the first gallon of coolant and shake well before dumping it in the surge tank. Then dump in the second gallon to push all the supplement powder through the system. If you just dump it in the surge tank, it will just sit there as the surge tank has almost zero coolant flow through it. Mix up the coolant 50/50 with distilled water and refill.
    Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.