1993 Exploding Intake Plenum
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1993 Exploding Intake Plenum in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Several days ago when starting my Allante for the first time in the morning the intake plenum actually exploded, it ...
    prosin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Allante

1993 Exploding Intake Plenum

Several days ago when starting my Allante for the first time in the morning the intake plenum actually exploded, it blew off the end near the power steering pump. I have since gotten a used one with injectors and all in tact. After reassembly it won't start- sounds as though it wants to start. The battery went dead after several days with the hood open. It was deduced that the fuel pressure sensor allowed the plenum to fill with excess gas and exploded after a mere nano second of cranking in the morning. Any ideas on what next - fuses were okay for the injectors. I just got these codes off it - P31 P52 P95 P109 No BCM Codes PCM?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BodybyFisher is offline Guest

Re: 1993 Exploding Intake Plenum

P031 (E031) .................................................. ... Shorted MAP Sensor
    P052 (E052) .................................................. ..... PCM Memory Reset
    P095 (E095) .................................................. Engine Stall Detected
    P109 (E109) ....... Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

THe only code that concerns me is P031 as to whether or not that would cause your problem, I will leave that to someone else.

I am not sure I agree with the conclusion that the fuel pressure regulator caused this, I believe you may have a leaky injector. I would be VERY careful with this problem, if this continues and fuel gets into a cylinder you COULD hydrolock the engine and put a rod through the side if it.

I got the injectors that came with the used plenum- I have not disassembled or even touched all that under the cover.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I would replace the map sensor. The pressure created by the explosion probably cracked it in two.

by the way - one of the main reasons why cadillac didn't recall the plastic 93-94 fuel rails was because it was "inside the intake manifold" and deemed "safe" in the event of a fuel leak. Yeah, sure sounds like it.

Good thing nobody was standing under your hood when you started it up. Got any pictures? I would SERIOUSLY consider bringing in a lawyer to get cadillac to pay for your damages. Maybe a recall of these fuel rails would finally make all northstars safe.

I have many photos- tried posting them- I will send some if you like. Where may I ask is the map sensor. I really need this running to get to work tomorrow.

I missed a code P053 - Distributor Signal Interrupt. If that has something to do with timing I would believe it- it really sounds as though it wants to start......

This IS a northstar, correct?

P053 is a 4x reference signal interrupt from the ICM.

It could be just that wire that's faulty, or it could be due to trying to start it and then having the battery die, or ....

Looking at the coilpack, with the spark plug terminals being "up", remove the top connector on the right side (looking towards the firewall). Make sure there is no corrosion anywhere in it's 6 pins. I'd have to check the manual for any further instructions beyond that.

The MAP is under the intake top cover, near the throttle body, and may be either bolted down, or just held in with a grommet. I don't know in a 93. If it did explode, it may be just lying around in pieces... But you mentioned getting a new manifold, right? You should've got a new sensor as well. In that case, it may be just due to the old manifold's explosion.

Here we go - "P031 could be set during an engine backfire, which would cause a rapid increase in MAP value"

on code 53 - it says "check engine compartment fuse block fuse A13"

Do you know where the ICM battery connector is? It wouldn't hurt to check for proper voltage there.

Yes - it is a Northstar. With an absolute piece of junk voltmeter I tried getting a reading off the coil packs while my daughter was cranking the engine- got nothing but when checking the remote battery post got 12v so I know I was grounded. So- I got no spark coming off any of the coil packs- thoughts anyone?

I have no under the hood A13 - it is an Allante if not mentioned. I will look at all the under hood maxi fuses and A13 in the center console-

Quote Originally Posted by prosin
    Yes - it is a Northstar. With an absolute piece of junk voltmeter I tried getting a reading off the coil packs while my daughter was cranking the engine- got nothing but when checking the remote battery post got 12v so I know I was grounded. So- I got no spark coming off any of the coil packs- thoughts anyone?
    uhh.. reading off the tip of these?

(brass in this picture)? If so you may have killed your volt meter.

Look for the connector that looks like this:

but has 3 pins, and is on the driver's side of the coilpack. With the key in run, but the engine OFF, measure the voltage between the two outer pins. You should have 12 volts. If not, you've got a fuse/wire problem.

Quote Originally Posted by prosin
    I have no under the hood A13 - it is an Allante if not mentioned. I will look at all the under hood maxi fuses and A13 in the center console-
    Sorry, you're right, I'm looking at a Seville/deville/eldo service manual. I can probably pull up the wiring diagram if you don't find 12 volts at the connector.

I have 12v at the connector as you described. The voltage meter still works- perhaps had wrong setting when attempting high voltage coil reading- what next?

I am not so sure it is not a fuel issue- I hear the pump running behind me- it shuts off and when I check the relief valve on fuel line there is no pressure or gas escaping. I think it would be impossible to get the two fuel lines that come up reversed- I also think those connectors are leaking a bit- how in the world do those get re-used successfully?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.