99 STS head gasket repair [ in car] - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 STS head gasket repair [ in car] in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I would call the Time Sert technical support at 800 423 4070 between 6AM-4PM PST and ask there advice....
    bsamole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS 94,000 Y engine

Re: 99 STS head gasket repair [ in car]

I would call the Time Sert technical support at 800 423 4070 between 6AM-4PM PST and ask there advice.

lembo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

I got her all back together and drove her around the block. Got a question. Service Air Bag on dash and a B1126 code. [Driver deployment Loop Opened]. My Alldatadiy manual has a very detailed diagnosis. My steering wheel Center sensor has been broken for some time and it is possible my wheel did a 360 while disconnected. Should I look at the steering column or did I miss a plug under the hood?

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Lembo, did you have the steering wheel shaft disconnected for this job? The airbag sensor is the yellow item centered above the radiator.

----------

I will be doing a head gasket repair on my 99 Eldo in the next month or so and would like to do it in-vehicle. I will be using inserts (Norm's). Lembo I notice the right angle drill you used was a bit bulky, do you think a more slender drill like this Makita DA3000 would work better?

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-DA3000R...pr_product_top

Also, how did you go about re-timing the camshafts? If you had to do it again, is there a better way you would handled the cam shaft portion of the job? Any other tips that you have not mentioned here? Thanks so much for posting the job!

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

Just a heads up on installing cams, you CAN release the tensioners and squish them down without removing the cover. I did this on a mis-timed chain way back.... engine in car all bolted up. you can push a flat bar down the head and hit the release. I practised on an engine i had out on the floor...

Hey JTraik,I disconnected the steering at the rack only. You lost me at "above the radiator"

If at all possible, Drop the motor. I had no choice do to gravel driveway. [ thoughts of suicide my occur] I used time serts and the bit required a 1/2 inch chuck. I think that Makita is 3/8. I also used the kit for a 2000 which works but comes with a longer drill bit for the deep bank on one side of the 2000+ Northstars. The bit for the 99 would have given me another inch clearance which is a lot on this job.

As far as the cam timing, I had a hard time due to the rear tensioner. No pics that day, sorry. It needed to be pinned so the front cover had to come off. I used a 110 volt impact gun from harbor freight to break lose the harmonic balancer and a 4 inch 3 claw puller. The engine had to get real low and I pinched the camshaft position sensor against the side wall in the process so keep that in mind. Good luck with your job.

Also another thing that helped me with timing was to draw the timing marks on the back of the cam timing gears with a sharpie. Then bring down the cam caps slowly. Concentrate on the caps on either side of the engaged cam lobs first till closed. I used a 1/4 inch socket wrench, no more than a half turn each bolt. Then use torque pattern from manual.

Ok , besides the B1126 air bag code I've also lost my conveinence controls on the wheel [ temp and tunes ]. I guess I'll be ordering some parts and pulling the column. I wanted to fix that steering wheel center sensor anyway.

I just listed my Time Sert J-42385-2000 kit on Ebay in case anyone is looking for one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.