Cadillac Owners Forum banner

99 STS head gasket repair [ in car]

8K views 54 replies 9 participants last post by  lembo 
#1 ·
Hello to all, I have been a member here for a while but until now I've been hiding in the shadows and getting great advice for you all. A big thank you to all of you.

I have a time sert question that I hope has a good answer. I have removed the heads on my 99 STS and plan on doing time serts. I remember reading somewhere on here that I could use the TIME-SERT J-42385-2000 kit on the 99. I'm aware the kit is for newer 2000 and up but thought it was only because of the newer models having deeper holes in one bank. Has anyone used this kit on older engines.

Thanx in advance. I'll post some pics here and keep you posted

#2 ·
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Metal

Not bad at this point. Pretty straight forward once the radiator was out of the way. Make sure you use a pulley puller for the water pump pulley. I tried to apply presure and tap it with a hammer and broke the tip off the camshaft. That was an extra $100 on ebay

#12 ·
Rear head is off. I left the exhaust manifold on it. I have no choice for in car. I'm doing it in a gravel drive way. Any word on the time sert conversion [using the 2000 kit on a 99 engine] I want to start drilling and tapping today. Looks like I just leave the extra stop collar on for all the holes.

#13 ·
Cover EVERY hole, cylinder and passage with duct tape, except for the hole being currently repaired. Long process, but aluminum chips will go everywhere. An air compressor and hand gun are handy ...........

#15 ·
Thanx Ranger. All covered up and using air gun with long thin tube that reaches the bottom of the hole. I just did 4 and came in for a beer. I'm getting nice curly aluminum off the drill bit and the threads are cutting nice. No powder. Had to buy a right angle drill with a 1/2" chuck this morning.

#22 ·
Nice work. Keep up with the pics and text and we'll make your work permanent in Tech Tips.

You may run out of picture storage room - resize them all to less than 800 X 800. (I see that some are already below that size .......)

#25 ·
The drill is great. It's a Chinese copy of a Milwaukee hole hawg.

----------

Got the front of the block serted. Had trouble with the locator near #7 on the rear bank. Thats where I had the leak. Tomorrow I'll drill the rear head. I know this tool is expensive but it does the job very nicely so far. Only complaint is the guide bushing is always coming off. Spent some time finding where it landed a few times. would be nice if it screwed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.