Quick Oil Change Question....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Quick Oil Change Question.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello folks. I just had a quick oil change question. What is the best oil I should be using in ...
    grahaco is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Arrow Quick Oil Change Question....

Hello folks. I just had a quick oil change question. What is the best oil I should be using in my 2001 Cadillac Deville w/ 4.6 Northstar V8? Also, what do yall think about adding SLICK 50? When I say best oil, I mean not only grade, but brand. Thanks a million!

COREY

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: Quick Oil Change Question....

The grade of choice is printed on your oil filler cap; probably 5W-30 for your engine. The brand is up to you but look for the gold starburst symbol that says "For Gasoline Engines" on the container. Any conventional oil that meets "API SL" is what you want.

Synthetic not required.

Snake oil additives not recommended.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Best oil? Oil wars have been started over that question. Just do a search and you'll see. Use what is recommended by the factory per your owners manual.

Slick 50 is slick marketing. Save your money.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by grahaco
    Hello folks. I just had a quick oil change question. What is the best oil I should be using in my 2001 Cadillac Deville w/ 4.6 Northstar V8? Also, what do yall think about adding SLICK 50? When I say best oil, I mean not only grade, but brand. Thanks a million!

COREY
    Well there's a can of worms if I ever saw one!

Well, grahaco, you'll probably get about 2 bajillion replies with different information here, but my advice is to use the oil grade that is recommended in the manual, which is probably 10W-30. Slick-50 is useless stuff. They've been sued by the FTC several times for making false claims. There are no "magic" additives for your engine. Prolong, Duralube, Slick 50, Z-Max, you name it and it probably does absolutely nothing but separate you from your money. Save your cash for something useful like retirement or your kid's education or a worthy charity. Don't buy any additives. The people who make PTFE (Teflon), the stuff in Slick50, tell you on their web site that Teflon has no business in an engine. It won't really hurt anything, but it won't do any good at all either and is just a waste of money.

Synthetic oil is technically superior to conventional oils for several purposes, but you will probably never see the benefits. The engine was tested and proven with conventional oil. Synthetic is not required or recommended, but it won't hurt anything but your wallet. Do your engine a favor and use a good quality oil filter. Stay away from the Fram. Spend a couple extra dollars and get an AC-Delco, Purolator PureONE, Wix, Napa Gold, or Mobil1 oil filter. I've also heard that the Motorcraft filters are decent. As far as what brand of oil to use, look at the back of the bottle. In the "starburst" seal, it will tell you the ratings and certifications of the oil. The latest standard is SM, and your car probably requires SL or higher, so SM works just fine. Look for an oil with the "Energy Conserving" label in the starburst to save a few dollars on gas. I think you'll find that most any modern motor oil will work very well. Engines and engine oil aren't what they used to be. They're far, far better than ever before. There isn't really much difference anymore with the latest ratings and certifications. Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline and Havoline are supposed to have good quality 10W-30 conventional motor oils. Go with a synthetic if you want, but I think it's just a waste of money.

As far as when to change it next time, there is an oil life monitor that tells you where you are in the oil's lifetime. Reset it when you change your oil by pressing the INFO button until you see xx% OIL LIFE REMAINING and then hold down the INFO RESET button for about 10 seconds until it says 100% OIL LIFE REMAINING. Change the oil when it gets near 0% remaining and you'll save money, dump less toxic waste into the environment, and your engine will last you a long time. Nobody has ever shown that it's necessary to change oil at 3000 miles, and I think that's the old way of thinking. New technology in engines and oils makes that a thing of the past. The latest engines and oil ratings are good to 12,500 miles. You will probably find that the oil life monitor on your car gets you somewhere between 6000 and 7500 miles between oil changes. That's normal, it's perfectly safe, and there are thousands and thousands of Cadillacs on the road that have very high miles on them that have had their oil changed by following the oil life monitor. This is probably all way more than you expected to get back.

If you want to know more about Teflon in engines, read this:

http://www.msgroup.org/TIP043.html
    Mike

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Walmart's got a synthetic oil for pretty cheap now... I think it was like $2 a quart. Nobody knows where it comes from, but I have my thoughts...

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

Cool Re: Quick Oil Change Question....

I run Mobil 1 in almost everything. A 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart for $20 is hard to beat. An outstanding oil for the price is Motorcraft Synthetic Blend (it's made by Conoco). I got UOA's comparing that and Mobil 1 and the results were nearly identical. A Caddy will not explode if you put Ford oil into it. The Mobil 1 filter is a pain to install on a N* because there is more than one set of threads cut into it and you've got to hit it just right for it to screw on. I don't bother with it anymore. Generally I buy AC's for our GM cars (and Motorcrafts for our Fords) but the NAPA Gold is a very good filter and if you want to get spendy, a K&N.

Way more info on oil than you'd ever want to know is on the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO
    I run Mobil 1 in almost everything. A 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart for $20 is hard to beat.
    Hard to beat? How about 5 quarts of Havoline 10W-30 for $9.00? Is synthetic really worth more than double the price?
    Mike

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    Hard to beat? How about 5 quarts of Havoline 10W-30 for $9.00? Is synthetic really worth more than double the price?
    No, it is not!
    Funny, this "best oil" question gets asked here so regularely, we should have a sticky thread on this. Just few weeks back, there was a good one on the subject.

It would be even better to be able to bring up one of Rob's thread where he explained that there really aren't any benefits in using Synth. oil on a Northstar.

Dino Oil rules!

Peteski

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A falling out between partners in the original Slick 50 company resulted in a law suit that revealed that Slick 50 was ground up scrap plastic in reclaimed crankcase drainings. Why not go to your local quick-lube, scoop some waste oil out of the storage tank, and put that in your Deville.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

IMHO, if you really need that fraction of a horsepower increase then synthetic may be worth it. But don't expect to save money in an engine prone to using oil. And if you don't get a least twice as much range between oil changes...forget it.

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by peteski
    Rob's thread where he explained that there really aren't any benefits in using Synth. oil on a Northstar.
    Sure there is, synthetic burns cleaner.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.