Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Chip or no chip?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Saint John, N.B.
    Posts
    174

    Chip or no chip?

    I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
    Thanks
    Sean


  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bucks County, Pa
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McDonald
    I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
    Thanks
    Sean
    By the sounds of the top speed you have some kind of chip. the top speed is 115 not 145 like you said so CHIP

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Saint John, N.B.
    Posts
    174

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Wow, that's great!! That much less I have to do to get a little more kick out of it! Mind you it already works amazing!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bucks County, Pa
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McDonald
    Wow, that's great!! That much less I have to do to get a little more kick out of it! Mind you it already works amazing!
    Now that you have the chip what is next in line?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Saint John, N.B.
    Posts
    174

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Well, next is intake and exhaust work....then we'll see from there.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madison Heights, MI
    Posts
    21

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    What kind of chip do you have?...I'm looking to get a little more outta my '00 STS and want to know which chips make a difference and which are a waste of time & $$?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    55
    Posts
    217

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    I have a 99 STS and my understanding was that the cars with 16" wheels had a rev limiter that would limit top speed to 130MPH but if you bought the 17" tire option the speed was limited to 155MPH. Not sure how or if that applies to the earlier cars. Good luck.

    Rick

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    55
    Posts
    217

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick99STS
    I have a 99 STS and my understanding was that the cars with 16" wheels had a rev limiter that would limit top speed to 130MPH but if you bought the 17" tire option the speed was limited to 155MPH. Not sure how or if that applies to the earlier cars. Good luck.

    Rick

    PS. Just came from the SEMA show and couldn't find anyone making a chip for the late model STS.

  10. #9
    Andrew60SP's Avatar
    Andrew60SP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    303

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    From what I recall, if the STS or ETC came with Z-rated tires from the factory, the top speed was 150mph. This was since 1993.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Saint John, N.B.
    Posts
    174

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Thanks for the info guys! I'll have to go to the track and try the top speed sometime.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    I've got a 96 STS and I know that my limiter is set at 130, as my car will not stop until it reaches 130, gets there pretty quickly when it's in good tune. Are there any chips available for the 96's? I'm wanting to remove the speed limiter, and I figure a chip would be the best thing.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    377

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    i think this should be a STICKY, domestic performance has a hookup for custom made chips, i don't think anyone has tried it yet.

  14. #13
    jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC, USA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    141

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dubya
    i think this should be a STICKY, domestic performance has a hookup for custom made chips, i don't think anyone has tried it yet.
    I think we have covered this before recently. The STSs with H rated tires (look inside at drivers door sticker) are speed limited to 130 mph. The ones with the Z rated tires are not speed limited and should run at least 150 mph. The SLS is speed limited to 112 mph.

  15. #14
    jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC, USA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    141

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McDonald
    I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
    Thanks
    Sean
    MY 96 STS has good sticky tires and it does get rubber shifting into second at around 45 or 50 mph. It is very likely all stock.

    Jon
    96STS

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madison Heights, MI
    Posts
    21

    Re: Chip or no chip?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew60SP
    From what I recall, if the STS or ETC came with Z-rated tires from the factory, the top speed was 150mph. This was since 1993.
    Can you re-learn the chip the exisiting chip, or swap out the existing chip for the Z-rated tire chip without any problems?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum