Chip or no chip?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Chip or no chip? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin ...
    Sean McDonald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Chip or no chip?

I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
    Thanks
    Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Chip or no chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McDonald
    I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
    Thanks
    Sean
    By the sounds of the top speed you have some kind of chip. the top speed is 115 not 145 like you said so CHIP

Wow, that's great!! That much less I have to do to get a little more kick out of it! Mind you it already works amazing!

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Wow, that's great!! That much less I have to do to get a little more kick out of it! Mind you it already works amazing!
    Now that you have the chip what is next in line?

Well, next is intake and exhaust work....then we'll see from there.

tryn2befree is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What kind of chip do you have?...I'm looking to get a little more outta my '00 STS and want to know which chips make a difference and which are a waste of time & $$?

Rick99STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a 99 STS and my understanding was that the cars with 16" wheels had a rev limiter that would limit top speed to 130MPH but if you bought the 17" tire option the speed was limited to 155MPH. Not sure how or if that applies to the earlier cars. Good luck.

Rick

Rick99STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rick99STS
    I have a 99 STS and my understanding was that the cars with 16" wheels had a rev limiter that would limit top speed to 130MPH but if you bought the 17" tire option the speed was limited to 155MPH. Not sure how or if that applies to the earlier cars. Good luck.

Rick

PS. Just came from the SEMA show and couldn't find anyone making a chip for the late model STS.

Andrew60SP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special

From what I recall, if the STS or ETC came with Z-rated tires from the factory, the top speed was 150mph. This was since 1993.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll have to go to the track and try the top speed sometime.

stryka is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've got a 96 STS and I know that my limiter is set at 130, as my car will not stop until it reaches 130, gets there pretty quickly when it's in good tune. Are there any chips available for the 96's? I'm wanting to remove the speed limiter, and I figure a chip would be the best thing.

Dubya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i think this should be a STICKY, domestic performance has a hookup for custom made chips, i don't think anyone has tried it yet.

jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya
    i think this should be a STICKY, domestic performance has a hookup for custom made chips, i don't think anyone has tried it yet.
    I think we have covered this before recently. The STSs with H rated tires (look inside at drivers door sticker) are speed limited to 130 mph. The ones with the Z rated tires are not speed limited and should run at least 150 mph. The SLS is speed limited to 112 mph.

jonrodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Thanks
    Sean
    MY 96 STS has good sticky tires and it does get rubber shifting into second at around 45 or 50 mph. It is very likely all stock.

Jon
    96STS

tryn2befree is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew60SP
    From what I recall, if the STS or ETC came with Z-rated tires from the factory, the top speed was 150mph. This was since 1993.
    Can you re-learn the chip the exisiting chip, or swap out the existing chip for the Z-rated tire chip without any problems?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.