Found used NS, need advice.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Found used NS, need advice..... in Cadillac Engine Discussion; I located a used NS ('99 I think) that had an engine fire on top. They said that they would ...
    Quadrasteer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Found used NS, need advice.....

I located a used NS ('99 I think) that had an engine fire on top. They said that they would visually check for a head gskt. leak and give me a 30 day warranty. The price is $1200. + $350. shipping. Do you think it's a big risk?? The seller has an excellent reputation and I have bought from them before. Should I have them check anything else to see if it had a gasket or oil leak?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Found used NS, need advice.....

That's a pretty high price, are they local? The engine fire isn't that big of a deal, depending on when it was caught. I've seen engine fires absolutely melt metal parts. Are they giving you replacement intake, fuel rail, injectors, knock sensor, starter, wiring, etc??

I bought my engine for $800. Shipping was $300 (ouch). 6x,000 miles, nothing wrong with it.

Quadrasteer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

No, they're not including any replacement parts. Where did you get yours from?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Junkyard I found via ebay...

Is it going into a 93-99 caddy? Hotrod? What? The 2000 below will work in a hotrod with an aftermarket computer... The 94 will work in any 93-99 caddy with a swap of the intake manifold for 95+...

Here's a 2000 engine/trans

Here's a 94 engine/trans

You could also check car-part.com for northstars in your state (so you could inspect/hear it run/pick it up yourself)

NYCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Quadrasteer
    I located a used NS ('99 I think) that had an engine fire on top. They said that they would visually check for a head gskt. leak and give me a 30 day warranty. The price is $1200. + $350. shipping. Do you think it's a big risk?? The seller has an excellent reputation and I have bought from them before. Should I have them check anything else to see if it had a gasket or oil leak?
    Hmm.. I would think it's impossible to "visually check for a headgasket leak". Sounds like they may be purposely playing on words there. Also for that kind of money, I definetly think you could find a better deal with a better warranty.. shop around is my advice.

nota is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I would want a compression test and a leakdown test
    that WILL tell if the head gasket is good

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.