Help!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Help!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I took my intake manifold cover off, and put it back on. Now when i start the car, the rpm's ...
    onecad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Help!!

I took my intake manifold cover off, and put it back on.
    Now when i start the car, the rpm's sky rocket, so i need to shut the car off immediately. WHAT DID I DO???
    (1994 eldorado)
    thanks joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help!!

nevermind!!!...i fixed it..the plate that says northstar on it i had placed on wrong...its all good
    thanks

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by onecad
    nevermind!!!...i fixed it..the plate that says northstar on it i had placed on wrong...its all good
    thanks
    Gotta love those problems. Glad to see you cought it yourself though

I do have a question regarding the manifold cover....Ilooked at the seal on it, it doesn't seem like a very sophisticated seal considering what happened when it wasn't tight to the manifold. As I mentioned, when i didn't have it on straight and started the car, the rpm's just sky rocketed, and it popped and banged a bit. Immediately I had to shut it off.
    Can anyone explain to me what the deal is with this problem that occurred, and if that seal is something that maybe should be replaced, even though that rev problem has stopped???
    If there is a very minor, minor leak what would the side effects be? By the way, I tried looking in my manuals but it couldn't answer my question.

thanks
    joe

lido is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The intake cover has a silocine bead around it to seal it. Its very important that there is a good seal here due to the vacuum.For one, on early models the fuel rack is inside the manifold and the Fuel Pressure Regulator also.The FPR on these models doesnt have a vacuum hose attaches to it it get the vac. from being inside the manifold.I also think that the map is inside too.

So is the seal put on the outside edge after the manifold cover is "already" installed????
    Or do you put the bead on it the contacting edge before installing the cover???
    Yes the map sensor is in there, I saw it just on the left when I had the cover off.

How can I tell if its leaking since it the vacuum obviously sucks in?

thanks

lido is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You can see the silicon bead on the cover, inspect it carefully, if you see any broken you have to apply a small bead of silicon where its gone.What kind of problem are you having?If you have a hard to start problem after the engine is hot,and poor gas milages your fuel pressure regulator is more likely shot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.