Trans Fluid Change Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Trans Fluid Change Question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After I drop the pan and pull the drain plug, what is my fluid fill proceedure? Do I put 5 ...
    98 Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Trans Fluid Change Question

After I drop the pan and pull the drain plug, what is my fluid fill proceedure? Do I put 5 quarts in and start it then add 6 more? Is the gasket reusable? Thanks guys. Great site!! By the way 98 Deville

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Trans Fluid Change Question

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Caddy
    After I drop the pan and pull the drain plug, what is my fluid fill proceedure? Do I put 5 quarts in and start it then add 6 more? Is the gasket reusable? Thanks guys. Great site!! By the way 98 Deville
    Backflush the screens. They don't need to be changed. The gasket is reusable, just clean it off and also the sealing surface. Assuming you removed the hidden plug, once the pan is back and the bolts torqued in sequence, just dump in 11 quarts, check it, and add as necessary. You'll have to get it up to temperature to check it properly, and it will run and drive fine for long enough to heat it up. Check it hot after running through the gears and then add as necessary. Do NOT overfill it. If it's anything like mine, you'll need somewhere between 12 and 12.5 quarts of fresh Dexron-III fluid. They came with Texaco fluid from the factory if that makes any difference in your decision.
    Mike

Thanks for the response. Do you know what the torque value on the hidden drain plug is? So dump all 11 quarts in and then start. Wow that seems like a lot for the pan to hold without the pump pumping the fluid into the side cover.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Caddy
    Thanks for the response. Do you know what the torque value on the hidden drain plug is? So dump all 11 quarts in and then start. Wow that seems like a lot for the pan to hold without the pump pumping the fluid into the side cover.
    I didn't get anywhere near that much out of mine when I did the pan and the side cover drain. It's been a while, but I think 2 gallons (8 quarts) was even too much when I refilled it. I'd try to eyeball what came out and use your best judgement when refilling. It's a pain to get it back out if you put too much in (unless you have a siphon pump around).

Jim

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I replaced about a case (12 qts) when I did mine just a few months ago.

Ranger, did you use the same refill technique? Did you dump in 11 quarts and then start it? I am not doubting you Mcowden just getting another opinion.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Dumping it all in is the same as letting the car sit a few weeks, Not gonna hurt anything. As the trans seals wear it will let the fluid gradually leak down into the lower section when the car sits anyway.

I was gone 7 weeks and the car I left needed to run a minute to get the trans working. And it was a regular rear wheel drive. 4L60E Actually

Oh boy, the memory is the second thing to go, you know. I think I put what the manual said in, then started it and found that I was overfull and had to suck out a half qt. or so. It definately to a case, give or take a qt.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Oh boy, the memory is the second thing to go, you know. I think I put what the manual said in, then started it and found that I was overfull and had to suck out a half qt. or so. It definately to a case, give or take a qt.
    First I was gonna ask what was the first thing to go, then I thought better of it... Please don't tell us.

Anyway, my point is only that it should be perfectly fine to put in 5 or 6 quarts, run it a short bit, then dump in some more. As far as I can tell, it didn't hurt anything when I dumped in 11 to start, but I certainly don't know everything and would definitely be open to some further insight. I'm almost due for a second trans. fluid change anyway, so it's good to brush up on these things.

For clarity's sake, it only takes 11-12 qts. if you remove the "hidden" drain plug for the side cover. If you don't remove that plug, it will take probably 7-8 qts. but I haven't done it that way yet.

Let us know what you wind up doing and how it turns out for you.
    Mike

98Caddy,

I don't understand the problem. Would you take a chance of running the pump dry? I sure wouldn't.

Measure what you take out. Add 1 qt less and start it. Then add til it's full.

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    First I was gonna ask what was the first thing to go, then I thought better of it... Please don't tell us.

Anyway, my point is only that it should be perfectly fine to put in 5 or 6 quarts, run it a short bit, then dump in some more. As far as I can tell, it didn't hurt anything when I dumped in 11 to start, but I certainly don't know everything and would definitely be open to some further insight. I'm almost due for a second trans. fluid change anyway, so it's good to brush up on these things.

For clarity's sake, it only takes 11-12 qts. if you remove the "hidden" drain plug for the side cover. If you don't remove that plug, it will take probably 7-8 qts. but I haven't done it that way yet.

Let us know what you wind up doing and how it turns out for you.
    To tell you the truth, I can't rememeber what the first thing to go is . I do remember however that contrary to what has been said, in my case I got the vast majority of the fluid out of the pan. Very little out of the side cover ("hidden") drain. I know that is not supposed to be the case and is not what others have reported but thats was my expirience.

Ranger,

Had it been sitting awhile? I don't mean 7 wks. Overnight or ? The seals keep the fluid up but they aren't oil tight. It will gradually leak down.

I had a torquefite that I didn't change all the seals (metal ones) because they looked good. Darn thing would drain down overnight. Every morning it took about 10 seconds to refill the convertor.

Ah shit, here we go again with the memory questions. As well as I can recall, it sat overnight and I did it in the morning. I cannot drive it up on ramps due to the "bumper" height so if memory serves me correctly , I jacked it up and put it on jack stands. Don't think I started it in the morning.

Zonie77, the reason I ask is because in a Ford rear wheel drive tranny (4R70w) you can drain the pan and the torque convertor via a drain plug in the convertor. You get about 15 quarts out doing this. If you put in any more than 9 or 10 quarts and start the truck it will blow the fluid out the vent on the top of the tranny. Just didn't want something similare to happen when doing the fluid change on the Caddie. Thanks

Don't have any experience w 4r70w. Havn't had any other trans I've done act like that.

I measure how much I took out, by pouring into gallon jugs usually, then add a little less and start it up. I havn't had a problem. You can do it whatever way youl'd like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.