When to reseal case halves?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Caddy-EaRL
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, When to reseal case halves? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I know this is hard question to answer since you can't see the engine however I must ask. My engine ...
    bsamole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS 94,000 Y engine

When to reseal case halves?

I know this is hard question to answer since you can't see the engine however I must ask. My engine is in an engine stand with the heads and oil pan removed. I am in the process of cleaning the valves, piston tops and installing 20 time serts. I read the post "Case Halves Reseal... FWD RTV Sealant Procedure with Current Oil Distribution Plat" and feel that I may very well screw up the procedure of resealing the case halves. My engine was covered with oil and I was unable to determine the source or sources of the leaks. Are oil leaks at the case halves that common? The process calls for GM P/N 12378521 sealant. I saw other posts that recommend Permatex Ultra Gray for the oil pan and assume this RTV would also work for the case halves. As you can tell I really don't want to split the case but I also really don't want to drop the cradle again. Your thoughts would be welcome on this question or comments on anything else I should do while the engine is in the stand.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Half case leaks are usually just seepage or slow drips. Normally, we tell people to live with it, since fixing it is costly because of the labor involved. You can buy a lot if oil for that price.

Since your engine is out, I'd say go for it unless you think you'll mess it up.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: When to reseal case halves?

Always consider gravity. If there is oil above the half case line, it may be the cam covers.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Remember the costs go up, new rod bolts IIRC and are not cheap. I'm not touching my half case when it comes out. The half case may be seeping a bit, the rear main will get changed though.
    refer to Bill Buttermore's head gasket thread for all that was involved and costs.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

if at all wet I would reseal while the engine is on a stand. You don't need new main bolts the rod bolts are one time use as the factory service manual says. The only thing that is costly is the rear main seal installer. The oil plate is not very expensive.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles

rod bolts aren't removed unless you're taking the pistons out.. main bolts can be re-used. they are not torque to yield.
    http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/ima..._Northstar.pdf
    04GrandAmGT likes this.

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

its really not that hard to re seal the half case, just tip of advice, if you take you flywheel/flex plate off when you go to re install the flywheel put a little RTV on each of the bolt threads, they are through to the other side, and cause cause slight oil seepage, the extra 2 min and $0.25 of RTV sealant definitely worth it.

----------

put a piece of tape or somehow mark one of the little bolts that holts the oil pick up down, 10mm head, that one is very slightly longer than the rest to account for the thickness of the oil pickup mount.
    Replacing the Head Gaskets on a Northstar? Use our SureGrip Cylinder Head Stud Kit!

http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php

Patent # 8,740,532, Other Patents Pending

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Not difficult to reseal the halfcase like stated above. There are less to screw up, I think the most important(and difficult) part is to not block the oil passage.

I used permatex high temperature thread sealant with PTFE for the flexplate bolt threads.

bsamole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS 94,000 Y engine

Thanks for all the tips they will add to my facts when I decide.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.