new radiator, now engine overheats
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, new radiator, now engine overheats in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just put a new raditator in my 94 sls, my old one had a leak where the trans fluid ...
    starfox86 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 cts-v

new radiator, now engine overheats

I just put a new raditator in my 94 sls, my old one had a leak where the trans fluid goes in and the trans fluid was getting into the coolant. but even with that the engine was staying around 200-215, but sitting still, it would raise up to as much as 234, but not any higher. I was going to get it cleaned but i found the leak so i jus got a new one. with this new one that i purchased from perfomance radiator, the temp rises like crazy, I flushed it with a hose before i put the anti freeze in it. it seems as if the top hose isnt getting much pressure. and the bottom is geting alot, almost too much. and I filled it up with 50% distilled water and 50% autozone coolant. i know the thermostat isnt acting up because when i pulled the valve release on the tank and the coolant was boiling. so, im in need o some help here!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: new radiator, now engine overheats

First off, if you were getting trans fluid in the coolant, you can get coolant in the trans. Drain it and refill it, then do it again.

You said "when i pulled the valve release on the tank". I assume you are talking about the cap? That is not an OEM cap. Not even the correct type. That may be your problem. Was it a recent replacement?

Res STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS

Re: new radiator, now engine overheats

The surge tank is conected to the heater hose circuit so boiling in the surge tank does not mean the thermostat is working properly as you think.

Further to Ranger, if you have trans oil in the coolant, and you should if you also had coolant in the trans, things could be pretty gooped up. I don't think a water flush would get the sludge out of your cooling system. Sludge may be plugging up your t'stat and vapor bleed lines. If vapor bleed lines are plugged, you will have pockets of air in your cooling system that prevent proper flow through the system. I'm not sure of the best way to flush out the sludge, but antifreeze/distiiled water mix may work better than other concoctions that might foam, corrode etc. You'll probably need to flush several times. For sure, take out the t'stat and inspect it for sludge fouling and test it on your range with a soak in a pot of boiling water. If the t'stat looks goopy, you may need to rod out some of the vapor bleed lines and fittings .

Also, the N* cooling system is different from older designs. The thermomostat is on the inlet side of the engine, not like an old Chevy small block where the t'stat is at the engine outlet and feeds the top radiator hose. So the N* lower radiator hose is actually feeding the thermostat inlet. Takes a little getting used to but this concept is also used on the fine 4.7 liter Chrysler V8 OHC engine used in Jeeps, Dodge Dakotas and Durangos.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.