help with codes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, help with codes? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok....I have a 1994 eldorado, which i actually FINALLY just got today, even though i joined this forum about a ...
    onecad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

help with codes?

Ok....I have a 1994 eldorado, which i actually FINALLY just got today, even though i joined this forum about a month ago.
    With everything I learned from reading while I awaited my eldorado, the very first thing I did was check my codes by pressing the off and warmer buttons.
    If I understand correctly, I received no recent codes but four codes in the history, being SO10, SO13, SO44, and SO63, then the computer stopped at the signal "PCM?" And did not know what to do from there.

Anyway, I have noticed in driving the car, there is a slight, slight stumble/roughness as I press on the pedal while in park, between 800rpm to around 1000 rpm, then its smooth thereafter.

The only other thing I noticed, is a slight, but not every time, jump into first gear from park, and occasionally a slight jump hesitation going from a stopped position to driving.

If anyone could suggest anything I would appreciate.
    Thanks in advance,
    Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: help with codes?

I forgot to mention one thing...the "service engine soon " mil is on.
    when im checking codes, and shuts off when i exit diagnostics by pushing defog button.

One other thing i noticed as i checked the mil just a second ago, is that th idle while in park moves around between 600 rpm and 1000rpm, as i mentioned above its slightly stumbles.
    thanks again
    joe

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

if you wouldnt mind, why dont you check and see what the codes mean.....

http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/toc.html

S010 .................................. Left Front Damper Solenoid Valve Short to B+

S044 .................................................. ... Lift or Dive Signal Fault

S063 .............................................. Right Rear Position Sensor Fault

For some reason i cannot find a trouble code listing for SO13

I am more interested in what people might think about the hesitation/stumble problem i have posted. I don't seem to be getting any codes for that, and therefore in limbo as to the problem
    thanks
    joe

Alright.... so is the stumble or whatever more like a vibration??? Like when you hit a certain speed the engine sort of shakes?

It kinda sounds like my car, and I have yet to figure out what it is....

Are you getting good gas mileage??? How long has this been happening?

Well i just got the car yesterday, and i still have to get it safetied before its on the road and i'm driving it day to day.
    But the test runs that I have done, like i said above it only seems to be from idle rpm up to about 1000 rpm, its like a slight chugging. The only time it seems to do it is when its idling, or when you are at a stop(again idling) and begin to drive, so again, only from about idle rpm to around 1000rpm, then its smooth sailing.

P.S. Any idea about the slight jerk/hesitation i noticed when going from park to drive or when going from a stop to depressing the pedal?

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

that hesitation and jerking sounds like motor or tranny mounts to me

RLLOVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

How many miles? And have you checked plugs and wires? Also think about cleaning out your EGR valve.

the owner told me that he changed the plugs about 4 months ago but not the wires, however the wires, as i looked at them, seemed to be in excellent shape.
    Anyway, the mileage is 136,000 miles.
    So after removing the egr, how do I go about cleaning it??
    thanks

RLLOVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Try the following link...don't drop the bolts down in the engine as you're reinstalling...
    http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/how...vecleaning.htm

ok....
    as i just finished having my car safetied ( and it passed )the mechanic showed me the "dog bones", the 2 upper motor mounts and the bushing in the one is so gone its not even there, and the other one is as loose a s a ....well, you catch the drift.
    He said this will take away the jerk when putting into park, and moving from a stop position. thanks AKPsiMC03 for pointing this out.
    I wil see afterwards wether this helps the slight hesitation i noticed also, and report my findings back.
    thanks for your help guys,
    any tips are greatly appreciated.

I finally had a chance to test my car on a long run this weekend.
    I came across code p071 when i got home which i looked up and it means: P071 .................................................. .... Intermittent MAP Signal

Any input on that would be great.

Also, in regards to my previous questions in relation to the stumbling.
    I found that when driving the car basically at any speed, when i depress LIGHTLY on the gas pedal, ESPECIALLY when going up a hill, this is when the stumbling/chugging happens. It also seems to happen when i take my foot off the gas pedal from time to time also. When I press HEAVILY on the gas there seems to be no problem whatsoever. Not that I can notice anyhow, the car just takes off like a rocket )

On my way home this evening the traffic was so backed up it took 3 hours just to drive 40 miles. This traffic of course forced a lot of stop and go driving. This also brought to my attention the idling tendacies of the car. By this I mean it would often idle rough, more so when the engine was under load from the compressor running.

Does anyone have any more ideas based on this new information, or have any methods for me to test to help narrow these problems down??
    thanks,
    joe

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by onecad
    I came across code p071 when i got home which i looked up and it means: P071 ... Intermittent MAP Signal
    Check the wiring for the MAP sensor or replace the sensor. A Chilton or Haynes manual will show you where this is, or Alldata DIY has instructions and diagrams (www.alldatadiy.com). Replacing the sensor involves removal of the intake manifold, and may be best left to a mechanic depending on your available tools and skills. Don't know the cost of a new sensor, but it's a fairly simple device. The most part of the cost would probably be labor for the remove/reinstall of the intake manifold. Can't really estimate the cost, though. Perhaps someone else knows of a better way to do this or something else that might be wrong? A failing MAP could certainly cause the problems you describe. Have you checked or replaced that PCV valve or looked/listened for leaking vacuum hoses?
    Mike

I've stuck my head under the hood and have not been able to hear any leaky vaccuum hoses, and no I haven't tried replacing the pcv valve.
    I am fairly good mechanically, not the best at diagnosing ignition and fuel system problems though. Most of my vehichles that I ever worked on myself were older, and fairly simple, and therefore easy to diagnose.

Something else I noticed also, is that the problem seems to be predominate when the car has been driven and engine is hotter. I just got back from another test run. When I pulled into the driveway i was sitting there in park. I pushed on the gas pedal to try and maintain a steady idle at around 1500rpm, but the cars system would just raise and drop the rpm + or - 200 rpm. I also could feel the pedal moving under my foot, but maybe that is suppose to happen.

I know people say to change the plug wires after so many km's, and I've checked mine over, the outer casing and the contacts at the coilpack seem to be mint. I can't see the sparkplug contact ends too well cause they are so deep into the casing. Would they not most likely be fine even if they are old with no obviuos defects?
    thanks
    joe

NO! plug wires WILL go bad even though they look fine!! You cant expect things to be in MINT condition after 10 years!!!

Id replace the MAP sensor..... I think their around $30-50.. Check on www.gmpartsdirect.com

Might as well replace the PCV..... Its cheap and if it fails you will have the opportunity to get a new engine!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.