Firing order
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Firing order in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is odd. I only have a Haynes manual and perhaps it is wrong. I have a 95 DeVille Concours. ...
    jsjag is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville Concours

Firing order

This is odd. I only have a Haynes manual and perhaps it is wrong. I have a 95 DeVille Concours. Let me digress, I am still a rotor type guy and the coil pak arrangement is new to me. Anyhow, the Haynes manual says that the firing order on a 95 4.6L is - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8

Now if this were a rotor I would understand the arrangement needed on the rotor. Looking at my motor (had the car a week now) the plug wires on the coil pak do not connect to the plugs in the order mentioned above. I am assuming that the first coil post would go to number one cylinder, the second post would go to number 2 cylinder and so forth.

Am I incorrectly reading something on the coil pak arrangement? The engine in the car has been replaced and maybe the shop came up with their own arrangement???????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Firing order

Oops I had a typo. I meant that the firing order is 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

That firing order is correct for the 4.6.

Pack nearest the belt feeds 5/2, next one feeds 3/8, next one feeds 1/4, next one feeds 7/6.

Oh boy now what? I added the DeVille to my AllData account to check on the oder and their diagram is this:

6/7 4/1 8/3 2/5

Cylinders
    1-3-5-7

2 -4 -6-8
    Front of car

According to the AllData illustration the Serpentine belt is on the right side of the car and that would be the side where pak 6/7 are located. I am guessing that when you mentioned belt side, you were referring to the water pump belt side?

I think I should check the plugs before installing the new wires. I hate pulling plugs on the rear bank. It isn't getting them out that bothers me, it is getting them back in the rear holes. I always hand insert plugs (using various methods like vac hose on plug) so that I don't cross - thread the alum. plug holes. The rear are always a problem. At least there is some room. We have a Taurus that has very little room to insert the rear plugs.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

As long as each coil pack on the car is original, each post should be labelled according to which cylinder it fires. The cylinder numbers are also listed on the block as well. If your unsure abotu which plug goes where, just replace one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjag
    the Serpentine belt is on the right side of the car and that would be the side where pak 6/7 are located.
    I apologize. 6/7 is nearest the serpentine belt. I was going in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldyfig
    I apologize. 6/7 is nearest the serpentine belt. I was going in the wrong direction.
    No problem. I knew what you meant but this is a new engine to me and I wanted to make sure we were talking the same language.

I'm thinking....what if my new wires don't solve the problem? I fairly sure the wires will solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc
    As long as each coil pack on the car is original, each post should be labelled according to which cylinder it fires. The cylinder numbers are also listed on the block as well. If your unsure abotu which plug goes where, just replace one at a time.
    Coil paks were not original and 40,000 miles ago the PO replaced them.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

The coils, from the passenger side to the drivers side are numbered as follows, 6/7, 4/1, 8/3, 2/5. The firing order is 12734568.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by jsjag
    Oh boy now what? I added the DeVille to my AllData account to check on the oder and their diagram is this:

6/7 4/1 8/3 2/5

Cylinders
    1-3-5-7

2 -4 -6-8
    Front of car

According to the AllData illustration the Serpentine belt is on the right side of the car and that would be the side where pak 6/7 are located. I am guessing that when you mentioned belt side, you were referring to the water pump belt side?

I think I should check the plugs before installing the new wires. I hate pulling plugs on the rear bank. It isn't getting them out that bothers me, it is getting them back in the rear holes. I always hand insert plugs (using various methods like vac hose on plug) so that I don't cross - thread the alum. plug holes. The rear are always a problem. At least there is some room. We have a Taurus that has very little room to insert the rear plugs.
    You have it correct. I posted in your other thread. Removing and instaling the rear plugs is quite easy once you have removed the plug wires. As you mentioned, a length of hose over the plug or a plug socket with the rubber retainer inside will make instalation easy. Believe it or not they are MUCH easier than my wifes '96 Bonneville. I came out of there with my arms and hands looking like a road map.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.