Northstar question!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar question! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently purchased a Fleetwood Limited, a 98. I love this car. It's used, had one owner, has 38,000 miles. ...
    FrankyCorleone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar question!

I recently purchased a Fleetwood Limited, a 98. I love this car. It's used, had one owner, has 38,000 miles.

If anyone has more information on Fleetwood Limiteds, let me know. All I have is the brochure and information regarding it. I'd still like to know more.

Anyway, now to my question...

I started hearing a small sound, almost like a belt squeeling, going off and on. The sound started getting worse, almost like a bearing.(I immediatly thought alternator.) When I first start the vehicle, now, the sound doesn't exist. The longer I drive it, the worse it gets. I was sitting parked in a alley, idling, the sound got almost unbearable to the point where it was something we had to talk over. Speak louder than normal. The sound almost sounds like a tension or alternator. The sound changes though, that's what I don't understnad. It also doesn't start, or do it all the time.

If anyone had any similar problems, let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

VinnyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: Northstar question!

It does sound like an alternator or tensioner bearing, or A/C compressor. Those bearings can go too. Is it a grinding or a squealing?

More of a grinding/whining.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I had a horrible squeeking coming from the tensioner... I replaced it, and now it's 90% better. For some reason, I still get random squeeks. I haven't isolated that cause, but it may be the alternator bearing, since everything else is brand new.

There's only so many things that can squeak or grind, so you can try to isolate it with a piece of hose held up to your ear, with the other end (carefully) placed near the various pullies.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Also don't forget the water pump drive belt tensioner on the rear (drivers sdie) of the engine.

Definately not water pump. coming from front of motor.

Mark Bunds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyCorleone
    Definately not water pump. coming from front of motor.
    Check the electric cooling fans. I had one that was making a terrible noise until I replaced it.

coffeebreak1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

check ac pully i had same problem (i had to replace ac compressor).

Rick94STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had same problem, turned out to be the pully bolted directly to the block right next to the tensioner pully.

good luck...

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rick94STS
    I had same problem, turned out to be the pully bolted directly to the block right next to the tensioner pully.

good luck...
    That would be the idler pulley. The bearings in the tensioner and idler don't last forever. I've replaced both on my '96. Same for the A/C compressor.
    Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.