air filter in a 1999 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, air filter in a 1999 Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The air filter housing on my 1999 Deville has a sensor on it . Does that mean that the cars ...
    RRG
    RRG is offline Cadillac Owners Member

air filter in a 1999 Deville

The air filter housing on my 1999 Deville has a sensor on it . Does that mean that the cars diognostic center will tell me when I should change the air filter ?
    If not , how often should it be changed ?
    Thanks
    RRG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: air filter in a 1999 Deville

No, That is the IAT (intake air tempurature) sensor. Unlike the oil life monitor, it will not tell you when to change it.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Depends on where you live. Dustier areas require changes sooner than others. Hold it to the light and see if any passes through. If it's dark, change it.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

If in doubt change it, possibly a little more performance and gas mileage for a little money.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The manual says to change it every 30,000 miles in normal service or every 15,000 miles in dusty conditions. If you don't know how long it's been or if you just bought the car and the filter looks dirty, it's not a very expensive item to replace.

I've read before that the various foam or gauze filters don't filter as well as paper filters. Seems feasible to me. There have been lots of arguments here about whether "high flow" air filters such as K & N, Fram Air Hog, Amsoil, etc. really have any benefits, and the general consensus is they don't help anything but the salesperson's retirement fund. There are lots of filters on the market. Probably any paper filter will work just fine.
    Mike

RRG

Thanks Guys
    I purchased a new K&N filter , but how do you open the filter housing ????
    After y`all stop laughing mayby someone will tell me the trick ....
    Thanks
    RRG

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

There should be two clips along the edge. One of the right side and one on the far edge (viewing from the fender side).

Your K&N will be good enough for daily driving. Just think, you don't have to pay for anymore paper filters. It will pay for itself in a bit.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Based on $6 for a paper filter changed at 30K, the $50 K & N will break even at 250K.

Darn, when you think about it, that is right. Even if you change a paper filter every 15k it would still take 130k to make it up.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

You are assuming of course that there are no other benefits to a foam filter. But we've been down that road before.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldyfig
    Darn, when you think about it, that is right. Even if you change a paper filter every 15k it would still take 130k to make it up.
    Don't forget to add in the cost of the recharge kits plus added wear and tear from allowing extra dirt in the engine... What are the other benefits and performance gains? The sticker?
    Mike

LT5
    LT5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95Eldo-95Eldo ETC-99STS-02STS

I've done the K&N thing on many car's. Bottom line is new K&N vs. stock paper filter. No h/p increase on a dyno.

Story is just change the stock filter. The paper filter is cheaper and flow's just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    Don't forget to add in the cost of the recharge kits plus added wear and tear from allowing extra dirt in the engine... What are the other benefits and performance gains? The sticker?
    Oh, don't worry. I am not contesting anyone on this. If I knew better, 3 years ago, I never would have bought a K&N. I am pro-paper now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldyfig
    Oh, don't worry. I am not contesting anyone on this. If I knew better, 3 years ago, I never would have bought a K&N. I am pro-paper now.
    No worries at all. I bought an Amsoil filter once. Even proudly displayed the Amsoil filter sticker on top of the air box. I won't make the foam filter mistake again either. Now I run a cheap paper filter and have zero complaints.
    Mike

RRG

K Guys , I get the message . I will return the K&N filter and get a cheap paper filter . I still cant open the Filter housing .....I think I need a suiside bomber to accomlpish that ....
    RRG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.