Guide to replace water pump...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Guide to replace water pump... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, Im trying to compose a comprehensive guide to N* water pump replacement. There are some great threads about this ...
    highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '08 G6 GT

Guide to replace water pump...

Hi, Im trying to compose a comprehensive guide to N* water pump replacement. There are some great threads about this out there, but none seem to address all the issues in one place.
    Please help me with a list of usefull tools and items to have and parts to replace with new.

1. New water pump/ impeller
    2. Specialty tool to remove and install pump
    3. Gasket sealer
    4. New Upper and Lower radiator hoses
    5. New WP Drive belt
    6. New heater hoses: Heater to pipe 1, heater to pipe 2, and tee to reservoir

Anything im missing? a detailed set of procedure instructions would be paramount in this, so any help there would be great. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Guide to replace water pump...

I don't have a instruction list, but after you do it consider writing it up and putting it in the tech tips.

Good call. Question for those who have done it: '96 SLS: how do you drain the coolant from the lower hose without getting coolant all over everything???

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Drain the radiator using the drain valve.

Mark Bunds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

I posted these instructions on my site. They are actually for a 2001 STS but are pretty much universal. The drawings are for identification of locations and parts and do not necessarily follow the numbered instructions.

http://www.alliedintermedia.com/Cadillac/wpr.htm

Where will i find the Drain Valve on the radiator?? thanks

Found, drivers side, bottom of radiator, below lower coolant hose and trans hose... NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to get to and/ or turn... any tips?? About to pull lower rad. hose and call it good.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

We just pull the hose, but it depends on where you are working (hate a mess like that in the garage). It does make a mess, even with pans to try to catch it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

When I did my daughters '99 I took a piece of dowl rod (3/4" or 1", I can't recall) and simply cut a slot in the end of it. That worked very nicely as a tool to reach up and engage the drain plug to loosen and retighten.

All you need to do is remove the intake ducting, then remove the drive belt shield. Use a 1/4" drive breaker bar or ratchet to move the tensioner and remove the drive belt. Remove the front cover, then use the special socket to remove the impeller. Remember it is a cam lock, not threaded so it only takes about 1/8 - 1/4 turn to remove and install. Clockwise to remove and counter clockwise to install. Here is a picture of a water pump socket I made. http://www.geocities.com/grandolfo. You can buy cheap stamped steel ones for $15 - $20. I have heard some say that they slip. A good Snap-on will run about $75 but it is machined and much beefier much like the one I made. I have not had to replace mine yet. I am sure that is because I took the time to make the socket, but I have heard others say to be sure to lube the "O" ring seal before instalation.

ratherbriding99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

how did you make your tool? Where can you get the cheap sockets? With gas prices and me driving 50 miles of back roads a day i don't have any extra money(gas prices and all).

I turned the drain plug with my hands with the hose in place. I just pushed it with my thumb and then my pointer finger.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I made the tool on a bench lathe I have. I actually cut the teeth on a power hack saw by hand as I did not have a dove tail cutter for my mill. Then used a 1/2" drive socket cut down and welded to the back for the drive.

The link below has a cheap one. You can see the difference even in this picture. http://thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW161.html

i got my tool at autozone, gave them $30 for their brand new loaner specialty tool. seems mighty beefy to me, and didnt dream of slipping.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.