oil pressure light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, oil pressure light in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 96 deville, and every once in a while (when I have been driving for a while and ...
    danamiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member

oil pressure light

I have a 96 deville, and every once in a while (when I have been driving for a while and the engine is hot) the oil pressure light will flicker on and off. I am not low on oil, and I am using the recommended 10w 30 oil. Anybody know what this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: oil pressure light

Maybe a failing oil pressure switch. If you replace it, be sure to use an OEM switch.

#1backyard mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9

Is It Flickering While Driving Or Idling? If Idling Your Idle Speed Could Be Set Too Low Also. Try The Switch First.

rahanna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville 96

If the switch is bad, shouldn't it light at all time and not suring idling only ???... I have the same problem and I have my fears that it is the Oil Pump ... Appreciate your advise ...

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

In my experiences with any car, when the sending unit is nearing the end of its life it will either leak or the light will flicker at idle.

Blaze

Cadi4me is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Deville

Cool Re: oil pressure light

Sure sounds like the sending unit. In fact I just replaced an oil sending unit on a 4.9 (sludge motor) in a 92 Deville (113K). I have had the car since it was new. The sending unit was $20 from Carquest and had to be air freighted. It appeared to have been leaking for some time and was solid sludge on the inside.

Interestingly, the motor runs incredibly better once it was replaced and the mileage went up almost 3 mpg. I suspect that the motor was being held back due to the low oil pressure signal (interaction with the computer). This has got to be a common problem. Wonder how many people would benefit from periodically replacing the sending unit before it goes bad?

kaps52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

flickering could be 3 things, low oil pressure (worn pump), bad sending unit, or it could be bad wiring between the sending unit and the instrument panel the cheapest ,easiest way to eliminate one is to replace sending unit. one way is to let it idle if the light is out follow the wire and shake it and see if the light flickers on or off check for wire damage, connector corrosion.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by kaps52
    flickering could be 3 things, low oil pressure (worn pump), bad sending unit, or it could be bad wiring between the sending unit and the instrument panel the cheapest ,easiest way to eliminate one is to replace sending unit. one way is to let it idle if the light is out follow the wire and shake it and see if the light flickers on or off check for wire damage, connector corrosion.
    What about a loose harmonic balancer bolt? The oil pump is driven only by the friction between the harmonic balancer and the oil pump. If the balancer bolt is loose, there will be insufficient friction and the oil pump will not turn at full RPMs. Tightening the bolt would be the solution if it is loose. If it's not loose, then I would go with replacing the sending unit with a new AC-Delco sending unit followed by all the other suggestions. Props to our old friend Rob for that bit of advice.
    Mike

erroneous is offline Cadillac Owners Member

see this, same exact thing. Still does it only once in awhile when its over 95 outside
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=45031

starfox86 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 cts-v

my oil light came on and it turned out to be a bad ground wire in the rear of the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.