overheating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, overheating in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What is the normal coolent tempature for a northstar engine before the fans turn on? (cadillac 97)...
    Mago is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question overheating

What is the normal coolent tempature for a northstar engine
    before the fans turn on? (cadillac 97)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

Re: overheating

northstar I think thermostat starts to open at about 198 degrees and the fan come on at about 220 I think... But the temperature gauge is going to show it quite hot

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Moved.... from the Catera section...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

They seem to vary a bit but mine runs about 206 during the summer and 213 during the winter +/- a couple of degrees.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Fans turn on when the temp reaches 225 or whenever the a/c is running.

Rick94STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is there a way to make the fans turn on earlier??

Not that I am aware of unless you hot wire them to run all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Not that I am aware of unless you hot wire them to run all the time.
    Yeah I thought of splicing in a toggle switch to ground and mounting it under the dash to turn on the fans when I want, not sure if I want to go that way, was hoping there was a more clean way of doing it.

thanks

Why do you want to force them on? If the system is not operating as designed then I think you'd be far better off finding the problem and correcting it rather than crutching it.

kaps52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

most gm fan switches/ecm turn on the fans around 230 plus you always want the engine to run at normal temps between 200- 230 for emissions reasons, also the engine parts expand if the temp does not reach normal temp premature engine wear could occur

VinnyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

I still think 200-220 is TOO hot. Engines like cooler temps. I used to work on Chevy 350's, Buick 3.8, even Audi 5 cylinders and they all benefited with lower temps. I've been debating changing the T-stat to 180. The coolant temp sensor will decide when the fans cut on. I'm looking for one of those now. One that will turn on at 195. I've know people to run 160 stats in cars, which is TOO low. I cannot see anything negative in running a 180 stat. Lower temps would probably help the head gasket issue as well. Just my $.02.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mago
    What is the normal coolent tempature for a northstar engine
    before the fans turn on? (cadillac 97)
    Normal coolant temp. for my '98 is approximately 200 degrees at idle with no air flow across the radiator. With A/C off, engine idle, no air flow, my fans come on (at low speed) at 220 degrees and shut off when temp. drops to 214 degrees. Just like the sytem was designed and built to do.

With any amount of air flow (vehicle moving > 15 MPH), the coolant temperature sits right at the wet thermostat operating point (again, approximately 200 degrees).

A 50/50 mix of water/ethelyne glycol at 15 PSI has a boiling point of 265 degrees. I don't have a problem with the coolant temp. reaching 220 degrees at idle in traffic. One of the benefits of running a little higher temp. is the vaporization of potentially nasty fluids in the crankcase oil supply, again, as designed.

144,000 trouble-free miles and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Why do you want to force them on? If the system is not operating as designed then I think you'd be far better off finding the problem and correcting it rather than crutching it.
    I would like to have the option of turning them on at will, I am having no problems at all with my coolant system at this moment but the milege is at 135K right now and I am concerned with that so I would like to run it cooler in the summer months. I agree with others that 225 to 230 degrees is just "TOO HOT" for any engine to run no matter what it was designed to do, especially on a high milege vehicle.

I was told the LS1 motor in my Vette will run better at high temps, but that means more emission friendly better, not high performance long life better. With that said I have a 160 stat and fans programmed to turn on early which gives me that warm and fuzzy.

VinnyT - if you ever locate that temp sensor that will turn the fans on earlier for the N* please let me know

thanks

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rick94STS
    I would like to have the option of turning them on at will, I am having no problems at all with my coolant system at this moment but the milege is at 135K right now and I am concerned with that so I would like to run it cooler in the summer months. I agree with others that 225 to 230 degrees is just "TOO HOT" for any engine to run no matter what it was designed to do, especially on a high milege vehicle.

I was told the LS1 motor in my Vette will run better at high temps, but that means more emission friendly better, not high performance long life better. With that said I have a 160 stat and fans programmed to turn on early which gives me that warm and fuzzy.

VinnyT - if you ever locate that temp sensor that will turn the fans on earlier for the N* please let me know

thanks

Not sure why you think you need to re-engineer something that works just fine for the vast majority of owners. Exactly why is 230 "too hot?" What damage or other negative effects do you think will happen? How do you refute the evidence that most of these cars never have any heat-related problems? Are you saying that if everybody put a lower temperature thermostat in their car that the engine would last longer for everyone?
    Mike

"I would like to have the option of turning them on at will, I am having no problems at all with my coolant system at this moment but the milege is at 135K right now and I am concerned with that so I would like to run it cooler in the summer months. I agree with others that 225 to 230 degrees is just "TOO HOT" for any engine to run no matter what it was designed to do, especially on a high milege vehicle."

Well, if it makes you feel better, go ahead. If that where true, how can you explain the many 200-300K Northstars that are running around with no problems? I really think you are worrying needlessly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.