do I need two sets of timeserts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, do I need two sets of timeserts? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've found a compression leak in one of my cylinders, so its off with the headgaskets (after loss of lots ...
    soccer_eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville, 99 deville - both Adriatic Blue

do I need two sets of timeserts?

I've found a compression leak in one of my cylinders, so its off with the headgaskets (after loss of lots of coolant). I called the timesert 800 number to get prices, and the lady quoted me $370 for a set of ten, so I'm assuming that I need two sets since there are 20 head bolts. Also, after the head gasket job is finished, how reliable is the engine after that, I've heard stories about cracked blocks after headgasket replacements. Its a 96 eldorado. Another question, I have the pc0717 code (speed input sensor for the tranny), so with both of the heads off, would it be very accessable to open up the side of the transmission for this sensor replacement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: do I need two sets of timeserts?

$370 is for the installation kit and ten inserts which will fix one head. You will need ten more inserts for the second head but you don't need another set of installation tools.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Only a couple of people ever had cracks and neither was similar. I think the reliability would be very good.

Are you trying to do this with the engine in the car?

I'm going to give it a shot in the car, if to no avail, I'll get a hoist/cherry picker and pull the engine out (I'm in law school, so not much spare time, I'm going to drive my Lincoln the next few days and do the Cadillac over the course of a couple of weekends). Thanks for the advice, so how much would the extra 10 time serts cost in addition to the $370?

Overheated is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just received mine with 10 additional inserts & bill $411.77. Not a problem for Me (until Wife finds out). You need to do more research (not at Law Library). If you don't, you should have it done by the time you finnish Law School.

Did you look at the N* head gasket thread in the tech tips? Only one person did it in car and said he wouldn't do it again but it can be done.

It's easier to drop the cradle, which is the way the factory recommends, but you need the room to do it.

Yes, I've looked over tons of threads about headgaskets. I live in student housing, so I have to do the repair out there. I've done a head gasket job before on a Lincoln, so a little experience. I will however get a shop manual before I tackle the problem. I'm afraid that if I get the engine out of the car, I'll get it stolen (here in Miami, Cadillacs are stolen all the time, and then discarded after there engines are pulled.)

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Maybe there's something to be learned there from a potential client. Maybe you can work out a trade.

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

My block cracked durning the head gasket job.

It cracked during the job or was found during the job?

bill6ft6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

maybe you can devote your future law career to class action against gm on an OBVIOUS DESIGN FLAW!!!! sure would like to know the percentage of northstars that fail this way. "oh, it's a head gasket" BULLSHIT it's a failure of the headbolts to hold the frigging head on. then gm's denial of it all until they improved it in 2002.

bill
    97 deville that broke my heart.
    driving 560 sel now

At work the discussion was head gaskets...no one mentioned Caddys! LOL!

I've mentioned Mercedes because my friends went out. You'd have to sue all car companies and the head gasket mfgs too.

Maybe we should go back to horse and buggy?

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bill6ft6
    maybe you can devote your future law career to class action against gm on an OBVIOUS DESIGN FLAW!!!! sure would like to know the percentage of northstars that fail this way. "oh, it's a head gasket" BULLSHIT it's a failure of the headbolts to hold the frigging head on. then gm's denial of it all until they improved it in 2002.

bill
    97 deville that broke my heart.
    driving 560 sel now
    Sorry to hear about your heartbreak, Bill, but no matter how tall you are, you are also wrong. The problem has generally been attributed to corrosion of the head gaskets by improper or lack of maintenance of the cooling system. The head bolts may be a problem, but they are not the cause of the head gasket problems. Obviously, they changed the design, so something made them think it could be done better. The gaskets have also changed, so it seems you forgot to include that in your calculations. Curious, at how many miles did your 97 DeVille "break your heart?"
    Mike

cadiheartbroken is offline Cadillac Owners Member

SOCCER EL DORADO i also stay in miami florida..........hiealeah to be exact yo i got the same problem with my cadi so i was wonderin how did it go with urs?? u fixed it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.