eldo running hot
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maeng9981
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, eldo running hot in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello Everyone, Tonight on the way home my '99 eldo base model Y engine ran hot steaming like a locomotive. ...
    eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

eldo running hot

Hello Everyone, Tonight on the way home my '99 eldo base model Y engine ran hot steaming
    like a locomotive. I tightened a hose clamp, refilled the reservoir, put the cap on, started it and
    instead of it cooling down it went a little higher. The water pump is turning it has 40k on it
    from GM dealer garage. Here is a short history. It had HG at 63k and exhaust valves/cams/lifters at 105k and has 140k now
    Ok calm down ( to myself ) after a cool down I started it up and so far it has maintained a
    normal temperature. A drive to work in the AM will probably tell me if its going to me OK or
    not. Im going to look at alldata after here at the WP belt tensioner. Is it adjustable or get
    replaced if its weak? thanks Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: eldo running hot

check the PURGE LINE -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The WP drive tensioner pulley - tension - is not adjustable: it uses a spring-loaded arm to maintain fairly constant belt tightness during power application, steady cruise and belt stretch conditions. Remove the safety shroud and check the "springiness" by levering the arm with either a small crescent wrench on the lug cast into the arm or a 1/4" socket drive in the provided square hole in the arm. Pictures in my albums.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Maybe it was just a stuck thermostat. Keep your fingers crossed.

When the HG's where done, did they insert all 20 bolt holes? If so, do you know which inserts they used?

At the 63k it was serted next size up ,at 105k it went to GM's ('new' they told me) 5/8 sert, they did all of them. N*
    did not overheat this morning. 6 miles at 65- 6 at 45- then 6 miles at 70...Tonight it will be 18 miles of 65 to 70.
    I'm getting ready to check the belt tensioner and the purge line. Thanks for the crossed fingers. Hey Sub , would you
    give me directions to your albums? please and thank you.
    Ed

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The Community tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville.

2 albums, 6 pages of Northstar stuff.

purge line is in good shape, tensioner (since I don't have the correct tool) with a 1/4 "by 5"long ratchet had pressure
    equal of about 8 to 10 ft lbs of torque. That measurement is probably a crapshoot but it wasn't bottomed out even
    though its all in the spring
    Maybe it was all in the clamp. Have not driven home yet but I did check your suggestions. thank you all
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eldoedwardo View Post
    purge line is in good shape
    Ed
    How did you check it? You can't tell by looking at it. You need to pull the line from the surge tank (engine cold). Stick it in the open filler neck and start the engine. You want to, and should see, coolant flow.

Thanks Ranger, the coolant doesn't look as to be under pressure and the volume would seem to be enough to go
    through the brass inlet of the tank. seems like it should come out faster than it does. What do you think, or anyone else also..
    Ed

On a cold start the coolant is not under pressure and at idle the flow is small. The important thing is that there IS flow and the line is not clogged. Flow will increase with RPM.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

If it was steaming like a locomotive, then there was a massive coolant leak to any of the hot parts on the engine. You mentioned that a hose clamp was tightened, was that the leak point? The overheating might have been due to loss of coolant. After introducing air in the cooling system (by significantly low coolant level), the air needs to be purged through the purge line, that's probably why you saw the temp jump a little.

Thank you everyone, Yes the steam was coming out of the loose clamp connection, upper rad hose. With it tightened
    up ,filled up and warmed up it seems to be doing ok, if you can call 3 tests of 18 miles each at 65& 70mph a true test.
    I am so HG failurephobic, I know that the re-sert with the 5/8 is the N*'s last chance. My last daily driver I had for 17 years and looked brand new, with 257k miles, my point I suppose is I buy a car that looks sharp and keep it maintained
    knowing it will take me where I want to go and back, although nothing is certain the HG's freak me out.
    Thanks again to every one...Ed

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

It's too early to jump on the HG bandwagon. Since you are having no symptoms as of now, I would not worry about it. Just keep your eyes on the coolant level so you don't run low again, and that's everything it needs now. Enjoy the car!
    97EldoCoupe likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.