Trouble starting once engine is warm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Trouble starting once engine is warm in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 94 seville and I've been having a problem lately with the car. When I start it after ...
    rtharrs2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Trouble starting once engine is warm

I have a 94 seville and I've been having a problem lately with the car. When I start it after it's rested, all is well. However, if I drive the car and the engine gets warm, whenever I cut it off, it takes a while to get back going. It starts really hard as if it doesn't want to even try to crank, but it does. I've been afraid to cut the car off, because I don't want to do any damage to it.

I've flushed out my coolant system, which is what I thought it was. But it hasn't helped at all. I still have to leave the car on when I go somewhere and no I'll be back within 5 minutes. What do you experts think this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Trouble starting once engine is warm

Where would the FPR be on a '95 4.9L?

HMM, not real sure on a 4.9. Just look for a small canister on one of the fuel rails with a vacuum hose attatched to the top.

Hey Ranger, I know I might sound 'green' but where is the fuel rail?

Mark Bunds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

It's the fuel supply line that loops around from the fuel tank, then injector to injector until it hits the FPR, then runs back to the tank. It's located on top of the engine between the cylinder head banks.

Is it inside the engine block is it something I should be able to see as soon as I lift the hood? Also how expensive are the FPRs?

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by rtharrs2
    Is it inside the engine block is it something I should be able to see as soon as I lift the hood? Also how expensive are the FPRs?
    You will need to remove the appearance cover on top of the engine. Once the cover is off, do NOT attempt to start the engine or you will have big problems. With the cover off, you will be able to see a black plastic tube that goes between each fuel injector. The injectors have wires connected to them and there are 8 of them. They all look the same. Hopefully that info will help you find the fuel rail. Once you find the rail, follow it around both directions until you see a small canister approximately 1.5" in diameter. It will have a metal nipple that looks like another hose is supposed to connect to it. That's the fuel pressure regulator. It's held in with clips if I remember right. Turn the key to the ON position, but again, DO NOT START THE ENGINE with the cover off. You just want to get the fuel pump to run. When you turn the key on, go look at that metal nipple on the FPR again and it will probably have gas dripping from it, or you will see that gas has just dripped from it or it will smell like gas. If that's the case, the fuel pressure regulator is leaking and will need to be replaced. They cost about $20 - $40 and can be ordered from places such as www.rockauto.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com, and stick with the AC-Delco brand. You need the one for the nylon fuel rail, not the stainless steel fuel rail, assuming you have not had the recall work done to replace the fuel rail. It's pretty simple removal and reinstallation. Relieve the pressure by pushing in the test port schrader valve, then a clip or two and the FPR pops right out and the new one goes in. Just be careful because it may drip some gasoline around. Make sure there are no sources of ignition present. Put it all back together and you should be good to go.

The starting problem happens because the fuel pressure regulator is punctured internally and leaks liquid fuel into the intake. With too much fuel present, the car is hard to restart when hot. Replacing the broken FPR is the solution.

Hope that gets you where you need to go. Let us know what you find and we'll help you get it fixed.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    You need the one for the nylon fuel rail, not the stainless steel fuel rail, assuming you have not had the recall work done to replace the fuel rail.
    The fuel rail recall did not include the '94. It was for '95 - '97 only.

I'm going to do this at home tonight. I really needed this one too. I appreciate it fellas.

Hey Ranger, you're in St. Louis huh? I was born and raised in North St. Louis. I graduated from Parkway West High School.

St. Louis? What gave you that idea? Woodstock Ill., NW of Chicago.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.