Slipping out of overdrive and P094 code
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Slipping out of overdrive and P094 code in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Yesterday when driving my 1994 STS (70k miles) it felt like it went into neutral and the engine revved up, ...
    therodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981 Eldorado 1994 Seville STS

Slipping out of overdrive and P094 code

Yesterday when driving my 1994 STS (70k miles) it felt like it went into neutral and the engine revved up, then the check engine light came on. I pulled the shifter back to make sure it was in drive which it was and when I got to second, I had second gear. I slowed to a stop for a traffic light and shut the car off, restarted and it worked fine for the remainder of my trip, maybe 10 miles with several starts and stops.

This morning when I left it worked okay until it warmed up (coincidence I think) although it started to slip out of 4th/overdrive before it warmed up. That's the way it stayed for a 6-8 mile trip, slipping out of 4th/overdrive.

After reading this forum about P094 problems I took it to a trans shop where they agreed that the "A"shift solenoid was bad/broken and they were going to replace both A&B solenoids. The fella said I'll show you how it's broken when we take the pan off but when they took it off, nothing appeared to be broken. He scratched his head and started thinking maybe there is a ground somewhere other then the solenoid itself. I remember reading on this forum that sometimes the bracket is broken and other times the solenoid itrself is cracked and I assume you wouldn't see that unless you took the solenoid out. He seems reluctant to pull the solenoid because he would want to charge me and if that isn't problem then I'm paying for the solenoids and the labor for nothing.

Any suggestions? The only code is a P094!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddy112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Slipping out of overdrive and P094 code

I'm curious about this too, my 95 Eldo is currently at the Cadillac Dealer with the same code, and also P029 I think it was, and the shop manual said it was the other shift solenoid. I'm waiting to hear from them once they look at it, and tell me what is wrong. Mine car's only foward speed is second gear right now. The fluid looks/smells good and is full,and was flushed two years ago, around 64,000 miles. I will let you know how I make out with this.

I saw mine with the pan off and the fluid is okay, looks okay, smells okay. If you shut yours off and restarted, you still only had second gear? Appreciate your response and looking forward to what your problem may be. I'll keep you posted on my progress as well.

rockytfox is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It probably means that the solenoid is ready to die. You may not be able to visibly see any cracks until you remove the valve body. I hope he checked the wiring for you. If he did and you are still having the same problems, you need to have them replaced. It is a pretty common problem with these cars. Once they are replaced though you shouldn't have any problems.

I believe they are going to check the wiring in the morning and go from there. I told him I thought that I read on this forum that you have to get them out sometime before you can see the problem and even them you may not actually see a problem. Thanks for the input, hope I'm rolling by afternoon.

jjbuckley is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sometimes you can not see a crack in the solenoid base, sometimes it is an internal problem with the solenoid, the small internal passages will get clogged or gummed up.

Othrt times if it is a model that did not come with the filter capture bracket installed wwhen you drive it the fluid pressure will cause the filter to push against the solenoid causing problems, if your fluid is not burnt and there are not a ton of metal in the pan then you are lookng at the solenoids, replace both and make sure the new filter capture bracket is installed, the check balls are all in the right places and the wiring connectors are secure.

Your codes are pointing to the solenoids, so replace and get rolling again.

John

Caddy112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ahhh. They want over $700 to replace the two shift solenoids, and flush the system. This is a Cadillac Dealer, he said he has to replace a harness that has to fished up, 5 hours of labor. It's either them, or some other shop who may not be as familiar with the car, so I'll have to pay it, very reluctantly. This car is nickle and diming (somehow this saying does'nt quite cover the amount anymore) me to death. May be time for something newer.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy112
    Ahhh. They want over $700 to replace the two shift solenoids, and flush the system. This is a Cadillac Dealer, he said he has to replace a harness that has to fished up, 5 hours of labor. It's either them, or some other shop who may not be as familiar with the car, so I'll have to pay it, very reluctantly. This car is nickle and diming (somehow this saying does'nt quite cover the amount anymore) me to death. May be time for something newer.
    Don't let them "flush" the transmission. Not a good idea. Have they even looked at the solenoids yet? Why are they assuming they need to replace a harness if they haven't even diagnosed the @#$%ing problem yet??? If it's only the solenoids that need replacement, that's all you should pay for. No flushing. No harness. Just the solenoids. And at this point, it seems like the dealership is just trying to jack you around to squeeze more cash out of you for needless work, so you might even consider taking it somewhere else just for the principle of it. @#(&@ @$#&(*%@ *@$(%ing dealerships!!!!
    Mike

Caddy112, I checked this morning and they put my pan back on and drove it to check it again and then checked I think two wires they said that go into the transmission for that solenoid. It worked okay again when it was cold but after it warmed up it started the same thing so they feel pretty strongly that it is in fact the solenoids just like the reposnders on here have said that's what it is. They are now pulling the solenoids and he said if they replace them and it doesn't fix the problem he won't charge me although he now feels pretty certain that it will fix the problem.

I did like a few others on this forum mentioned and called some local transmission shops and got quotes to change the solenoids only and nothing else. Don't want to hurt your feelings but they're doing it for $250 which I think is a fair price considering the cost of the parts and labor involved, then again your a caddy man so a little extra cash spent is nothing, right, lol!

Good luck and if it were me, I would tell the service manager at the dealership that I knew someone right now who was getting the same job done for $250 and ask him for a discount off that $700, they'll work with you if you call their bluff.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I don't understand why the Caddy dealer wants to replace the harness (alright, I do know, he has it in stock, the shops not real busy, and it's a good chance to get rid of the harness.).

With service like that why use the dealer? The issue is finding a good independent.

I had a sticky solenoid free up after changing fluid. It was my car so I tried it. A shop wouldn't want to do it though, and I wouldn't try it on a customer's car.

Talked to the shop and he said the solenoids ohmed out good when they tooko them out, never the less, they are installing the new ones. Any takers on if this will fix the problem? I feel like it will and certainly hope so, I say yes, it'll be running fine in about 1.5 hours! If not, what could it be?

oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

therodman,

I got a bit similar problem with my transmission, except I didn't get any computer codes, like you.

Same like yours transmission works for some time after every restart.

I read manual and found that when computer realize that there is a problem it blocks switching gears up to the next ignition cycle, that why it works again on next start. But in my case I got no codes and it's even worse, cause I have no idea what's going on.

I dropped a pan and didn't find anything wrong with solenoids. Their resistance is fine.

I found on line solenoids for ~ $100 for both with shipping include.

I hope that changing solenoids will help in your case.

Agree with zonie77 and mcowden that stealership just wants to make some more profit.

jjbuckley,

what filter capture bracket you talking about? I didn't see one. I can't find anything like that in manual or I'm just stupid. What I found is just two screens (filters).

And one thing more: did anybody hear anything about Gibraltar Transmissions? I don't know who I can trust (I guess only myself and enthusiasts like me).

therodman, keep us updated, please.

P.S. Interesting, that my car is 94 STS with 70K also.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The solenoids ohming out OK doesn't mean they are working. They are an electromagnet that moves something. The moving part cannot be tested by an ohmmeter. If there is something binding that moving part, the solenoid is bad.

Dirt inside, a worn body,etc can cause it to fail. As I mentioned, I have one that was failing, changing ATF freed it up but it's still stuck a few times. No DTC's ever showed from it.

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

You can get the solenoid for $45 shipped from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com or $53 shipped from http://www.gmotors.com. The gmotor(Brasington Dealer) will get them to you quicker. The average price for changing runs between $225-350 from tranny shops. I had the same problem with mine and it was the solenoids. I was getting code p029. You probably can also go to your local mechanic's shop and have them installed for about 150-200 bucks.

oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Thanks for fast replay.

I'm electrician by education and know what you're talking about. You're absolutely right. I just can't understand some other things. Solenoid looks like usual: coil on a plastic tube when I took it off. The moving part, steel valve placed kind of too far from solenoid, the end of it doesn't go inside of the coil. The plastic end of solenoid has a strange shape and I can't understand why either. I missing something. I can't see any moving part INSIDE of solenoid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.