New Owner, 97 Eldo, A Few Thoughts And Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, New Owner, 97 Eldo, A Few Thoughts And Questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello everyone, Last year I bought a one owner 1997 Eldorado. Living in humid Florida the Eldorado ice cold a/c ...
    mumblypeg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile New Owner, 97 Eldo, A Few Thoughts And Questions

Hello everyone,

Last year I bought a one owner 1997 Eldorado. Living in humid Florida the Eldorado ice cold a/c was a major plus for me. The car has 73k on it. No known service history but appears to have been well take care of. So far, I have replaced the water pump belt, wiper blades, air filter, front and rear brake pads and rotors, and rear calipers.

I have a few questions that perhaps the more seasoned owners can answer for me.

The morons that did the brake job installed the brake hoses with a impact wrench. They also did not lube the calipers. The brakes are very loud after they are warmed up. Any thoughts on this?

What brand tires are good for this car? It currently has Michelin Symmetry(sp) tires. I am not a big Michelin fan since they went global in production. The quality just isn't there.

It appears the car has the original sparkplugs and wires on it. I was thinking to change them and change the pcv valve and fuel filter. Is there anything else I should do aside from a colling system service at this point?

I really love this car. Great mpg, cold a/c, and it's a Caddy.
    Much better than the old Mercedes 450SL I had.

I figure that if I maintain the car it will last a long time. After all if I had to buy another one I would still get a *N powered Eldo.

Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: New Owner, 97 Eldo, A Few Thoughts And Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mumblypeg
    Hello everyone,

Last year I bought a one owner 1997 Eldorado. Living in humid Florida the Eldorado ice cold a/c was a major plus for me. The car has 73k on it. No known service history but appears to have been well take care of. So far, I have replaced the water pump belt, wiper blades, air filter, front and rear brake pads and rotors, and rear calipers.

I have a few questions that perhaps the more seasoned owners can answer for me.

The morons that did the brake job installed the brake hoses with a impact wrench. They also did not lube the calipers. The brakes are very loud after they are warmed up. Any thoughts on this?

What brand tires are good for this car? It currently has Michelin Symmetry(sp) tires. I am not a big Michelin fan since they went global in production. The quality just isn't there.

It appears the car has the original sparkplugs and wires on it. I was thinking to change them and change the pcv valve and fuel filter. Is there anything else I should do aside from a colling system service at this point?

I really love this car. Great mpg, cold a/c, and it's a Caddy.
    Much better than the old Mercedes 450SL I had.

I figure that if I maintain the car it will last a long time. After all if I had to buy another one I would still get a *N powered Eldo.

Thanks for reading.

Hi mumblypeg, and welcome to the forums.

I've never heard of the need to lube brake calipers. What sound do they make when warmed up?

I don't know what to tell you about the tires. I did have one of the original Michelins go bad on me. One of the cords broke inside the tire and it got a bad vibration at highway speed that balancing couldn't fix. I didn't know it was a bad cord until it finally blew out one day and when I took it in to be replaced, they said it had a broken cord. Since then, I've replaced two tires with Michelin X-Ones and so far they have been nothing short of excellent in all road conditions you find here in the Chicago area, which is pretty much everything.

The plugs and wires should be good to 100k miles. If you're not having any ignition-related issues, it might be better to just leave them alone. Is your car subject to the fuel rail recall? If so, and if it hasn't been done yet, wait to replace the plugs and wires at least until after that has been done. Lots of people have had to replace wires after the fuel rail was replaced. It would be a shame to change them out and then get the recall done and have problems with them after that. If/when you do change the plugs and wires, most on these forums will agree that you should stick with the Cadillac-recommended plugs and wires, which are AC-Delco 41-950 plugs gapped at 0.050" and AC-Delco spark plug wire set 748J. They'll cost you a few extra bux, but they've been tested and proven good on your car.

The PCV valve is a $2 part and it really can't hurt anything to change it. As for fuel filters, three other N* owners I know have had problems with Fram fuel filters. I haven't had any problems with the Fram I put on my '96 SLS, but if I ever change it again, I'll put the AC-Delco GF650 on it. It's OEM equipment and it's cheaper than the Fram. As far as other maintenance goes, I would check out the transmission fluid if the car has been driven in Florida a lot, and if it looks or smells burnt or acrid or if it looks dark, change the fluid but don't get the transmission flushed whatever you do. Just change the fluid and clean the screens.

You might want to search the forums for info on the cooling system service. It's a topic that's been covered many, many times, and it's very important to do it when it needs to be done and do it right. Let us know if you don't find what you need or have any questions.
    Mike

Thumbs up Re: New Owner, 97 Eldo, A Few Thoughts And Questions

Sorry I wasn't clear about the calipers. What I meant was the the "tech" didn't lube the sliding pins on the calipers with brake grease. The sound the brakes make is high pitched sqweek with medium pedal pressure after brakes are hot.

I had the fuel rail recall done a few months ago. That is when the car started running funny. Thanks for the great tip. The wires are probably due for replacement.

My car has the original Michelins. They are dry rotted and noisy. I might look around and see if the Harmony's are availible here in Florida.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't thnk caliper pin lube, or lack there of will cause a squeek. That's not to say it shouldn't be lubed. It is usually caused by the compound make up of the pads. Anytime I had pads squeek I found there was nothing I could do to permanently fix it other than use a higher quality pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    I don't thnk caliper pin lube, or lack there of will cause a squeek. That's not to say it shouldn't be lubed. It is usually caused by the compound make up of the pads. Anytime I had pads squeek I found there was nothing I could do to permanently fix it other than use a higher quality pad.
    I agree with Ranger. Some of the newer pad compounds are very hard. They'll eat up rotors before the pads need to be changed. Carbon metallic pads in particular have a tendency to get their own dust embedded in the friction surface when they get hot. The result is a very smooth and extremely hard surface that squeaks when you brake. I put some carbon metallics on a friend's 2000 Solara and no matter what I do, they always squeak. The pins are greased, the caliper and rotor are clean and smooth, I put some brake squeak glue on the backs of the pads, nothing is rubbing, but no matter what I do the dang things still squeak. I've been told by 3 people now that if you take a car in to a dealership for such a problem, they take the pads off, sand them down, true or turn the rotors, then put it all back together. The rough surfaces on the rotors and pads make the squeak go away, but it will come back in time. That might be what you're having more than unlubricated caliper pins.

Ceramic pads have very little or no dust, but they also tend to glaze over on the friction surface, and the two very smooth and hard surfaces rubbing together makes them squeak. Two of my co-workers have had to change rotors before pads because the ceramics are so hard. It's not faulty pads or installation or anything, just the nature of the beast. Not sure what can be done about that. If you stick with semi-metallic or organic pads, which are softer, they will be more dusty and won't last as long, but they probably won't squeak. With the softer pads, make sure you get a good quality pad for best results.

Maybe the folks in the suspension forums might have more thoughts, but I've never looked. I'm interested to hear any other thoughts or opinions, as I'm not proclaiming that I'm the foremost expert here. Just conveying what I've seen for myself.
    Mike

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think if you replace the pads with OEM, you'll solve the problem.

bcs296 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Replace coolant ASAP, with supplement tablets.

up2ng is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by mumblypeg
    Sorry I wasn't clear about the calipers. What I meant was the the "tech" didn't lube the sliding pins on the calipers with brake grease. The sound the brakes make is high pitched sqweek with medium pedal pressure after brakes are hot.

I had the fuel rail recall done a few months ago. That is when the car started running funny. Thanks for the great tip. The wires are probably due for replacement.

My car has the original Michelins. They are dry rotted and noisy. I might look around and see if the Harmony's are availible here in Florida.

A lot of people have had problems after getting the Fuel Rail done. The wires are old and after they are removed (when they are old) they tend to " not work so well" anymore. You are at 73k now and plugs/wires should last 100k or more but just replace them now, make sure to get AC/Delco plugs that came with the car (OEM Double Platinums). They are around 5.99 a piece but work better than the others in a Northstar, I have gone through Bosch single and platinum+2, autolite platinum (echhh !) and finally OEM plugs (Yay) and they work best on my 97 Deville.

93greeneldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

When I bought my 1998 Eldorado the brakes were just completely redone. But within 500 miles they started sqacking just like yours. I took it back several times but they told me with was just the weather. Well, I finally took my car to another mechanic and he told me the same thing you were told, thank the brakes weren't lubed right. Well, i paid him 100 dollars to lube all four brakes and the squack went away for about two weeks and my brakes felt alot smoother than they were before. but, in time the squack came back. I have taken it to several different shops and they all tell me that the brakes aren't doing any damage to the car so i could just leave it or i could pay upwards of 500 bucks to have all the brake pads replaced. If i were to have this done which brake pads should i use??? Should I also replace or upgrade to rotors if I am going to spend this much money on it. It is really getting annoying and not really fitting for a cadillac to pull up at a light with its brakes sqacking.

We might be better off moving brake discussions to the Suspension, Brakes, and Tires forum: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...splay.php?f=25

I agree with Ranger again on the brake pads issue. OEM pads and rotors were designed for the car and tested with it. Anything else and you're in uncharted territory. I don't know what the OEM pads were, but I suspect they were not carbon metallic or ceramic. You might need to get the rotors turned. If they're thinner than they should be, you'll have to replace them. Either one of those things should help with your squeak. Try giving the pad surfaces a light sanding at the same time and see if it goes away. Other than that, I'm out of ideas, but I still don't think a lack of caliper pin lubrication will cause that kind of squeaking.
    Mike

Thumbs up Re: New Owner, 97 Eldo, A Few Thoughts And Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    We might be better off moving brake discussions to the Suspension, Brakes, and Tires forum: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...splay.php?f=25

I agree with Ranger again on the brake pads issue. OEM pads and rotors were designed for the car and tested with it. Anything else and you're in uncharted territory. I don't know what the OEM pads were, but I suspect they were not carbon metallic or ceramic. You might need to get the rotors turned. If they're thinner than they should be, you'll have to replace them. Either one of those things should help with your squeak. Try giving the pad surfaces a light sanding at the same time and see if it goes away. Other than that, I'm out of ideas, but I still don't think a lack of caliper pin lubrication will cause that kind of squeaking.

Thanks for all the information on the brakes. I really should have used OEM pads. I should have known better. I used Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. They ran $60.00 for fronts, and $40.00 for rears. They make the wheels turn black every two weeks. All four brake rotors were replaced at the same time. I think that if I had used OEM pads and rotors I would not have this problem. Next time, I will go with OEM. Another thing that ticked me off about letting an independent do the brake job was that I watched the "mechanic" do a burnout with MY car in the back parking lot of the shop. Believe me, I will never spend a dime there again.

I am going to have the cooling system serviced next week. Along with replacing the plug wires and plugs. This time I am going to the dealer to have the work done. They are quite reasonable and very professional(Lloyd Buick and Cadillac ,Daytona Beach). From what I have seen the dealer charges around ten percent more for labor than independent shops. It is well worth it. They fix it right the first time using GM parts. They charge $109.00 parts and labor for the cooling service, using GM coolant and additive. Most independent shops are very clear about not giving ANY warranty if you bring your own parts. If you want to use OEM parts you have to bring them yourself.

Again, thanks for the great advice. I will post back with results of the wire/sparkplug change.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Commenting on the independent not guaranteeing parts you supply...No shop does and ask your Cadillac dealer if they will guarantee Dexcool or brake pads you bought at Autozone. Not likely!

I surely wouldn't guarantee anything I had no control over.

Concerning the noisy brakes...Were the rotors cut, left as is, or replaced with new?

I just replaced pads with Raybestos PG Plus, didn't cut rotors, and don't have a squeak after 6K. New rotors have a different surface treatment than cut rotors.
    Used but decent rotors (no deep grooves, high spots, etc) really shouldn't be cut, but if a shop told you that you probably wouldn't believe them.

I do see they were all replaced ( so they should be new ones ), You really shouldn't be having noise.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77
    Commenting on the independent not guaranteeing parts you supply...No shop does and ask your Cadillac dealer if they will guarantee Dexcool or brake pads you bought at Autozone. Not likely!

I surely wouldn't guarantee anything I had no control over.

Concerning the noisy brakes...Were the rotors cut, left as is, or replaced with new?

I just replaced pads with Raybestos PG Plus, didn't cut rotors, and don't have a squeak after 6K. New rotors have a different surface treatment than cut rotors.
    Used but decent rotors (no deep grooves, high spots, etc) really shouldn't be cut, but if a shop told you that you probably wouldn't believe them.

I do see they were all replaced ( so they should be new ones ), You really shouldn't be having noise.
    The ex "friend" that did the brake job expected me to pay him under the table for the brake job. When he saw that I intended to pay the office, he probably sabatoged the brake job. He even used a impact wrench to install the brake hoses on the rear calipers. He also ruined the paint on the beauty cover replacing the Oxygen sensor. Then left the old sensor on the strut tower and slammed the hood. Leaving a nice dent in the freshly painted hood.

Actually, I used to run the brake lathe at parts store I managed years ago. I know how easy it is to ruin a rotor on the lathe or cause problems on the car later.

I am happy to say that I found the dealer that sold the car new. They gladly gave me a copy of all the service records.

What I meant to say is that most independent shops tend to buy parts from the local parts jobber. That means Bosch plugs and wires in my area. They won't use O.E. parts. I don't expect them to warranty labor if the part I supplied fails. However, if I supply my own high quality parts to an independent and they make a mistake of some sort I am out of luck. Like I experienced when I had my brakes fixed.

RacerX93SptCoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi, Yes they will buy the cheapest part for there money margin, not caring about the Caddy as you do. It all depends on how much you love your car vs skimping aka a visit to a Cadillac dealer you can trust. I am going to take mine in to see what they say and go from there. But I know, to be true and origanial is best. I Love My Eldorado, to me one of the most underrated cars ever built.I also own a 1980 Coupe De Ville with 200,200+ miles on her and everything but the air works! So I Love Cadillac's as you can see. Take your Eldorado in to a dealer and see what thay say,,,,YES IT WILL BE EXpencive, but weight the options. X

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.