Cooling System Hoses
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cooling System Hoses in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Anyone ever replace all of the cooling system hoses? God, what a nightmare on my 95 Eldorado!! I found out ...
    Caddy112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cooling System Hoses

Anyone ever replace all of the cooling system hoses? God, what a nightmare on my 95 Eldorado!! I found out that some of the 3/4" hoses are made of silicone instead of rubber, presumably because of the high heat areas they are in. One of these is nearly impossible to get to, I may have to remove the master cylinder to get my hands in there. Some of these hoses are molded, meaning they are made bent the right ways to fit, and bending straight hose myself won't do it, because they will kink and close off. And, almost all of them are in such tight places, I may have to bring this car somewhere and have someone else finish the job before I lose my sanity. By the way, this is a 95 Eldo with 79,000 miles on it, and I wanted to change the original hoses before one of them lets go on me in the middle of nowhere. Some preventative maintanence for peace of mind. Since beginning this job, I found that most of these original hoses are in surprisingly good shape, though. But, too late now. Any comments/advice? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cooling System Hoses

The small green silicone hoses are silicone because they are so hard to get to and made to last for the life of the car. You are correct in that you did not need to change them.

Well, all the hoses are now new, and what a nightmare. The metel pipes that run behind the engine had rusted and both were leaking. They looked impossible to get to for replacing, so I bypassed them by running hose above the back of the engine, and now, finally, everything is fine. I had to pour the anti-freeze into the hoses to bleed out the air. I reccomend bypassing the pipes, it's a lot easier than trying to replace the original hoses at each end, only to find them leaking from the rust, and pushing and pulling from removing the old hoses and putting on the new ones. The pipes were a nice idea, but not if you use cheap metal that rusts. The previous owner must not have flushed the system often enough. If you don't want the unappealing looks of hoses where they should'nt be, pay someone to do it for you unless you have the patience of God, and the time of a retiree.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

For future reference, there is no need to flush your cooling system in the north*. Just drain and refill with the proper antifreeze and the coolant supplement.

brmurph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours

I have often wandered if all those hoses really need to be replaced.
    The dealer has recomended at a cost of $800.00 (Sounds like a good deal after reading your post LOL).

Anybody else replacing all the heater hoses on a northstar? Is it really necessary at around 100,000 miles?

Hoses today are much better than they used to be. I haven't repplaced a heater hose in years. 125K on my last car ('92 Deville) and traded it with original hoses, belts, rear brakes, exhaust and wiper blades. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I dont know about that. For peace of mind, I like to replace hoses and belts when they look and feel old. It was just a matter of time before the metel pipes that run along the back of the engine began leaking, anyway. Besides, with that mentality, many people still think they should never change transmission fluid. Many people may be lucky, but I think preventative maintanence is worth it for peace of mind. At my job, there is constant debate about whether it's necessary to change oil at 2000 or 3000 miles, or longer. Maybe today's metal is better, and today's oils are better, but I still think it's necessary to change stuff that will evetually wear out, before it lets go on you while you're out in the middle of nowhere, late on a Sunday when everything's closed. Age and climate have a lot to do with how long a car's components last, also. And, if it's garaged or not. So, I would say it's up to the owner to make an informed decision, and not rely on blanket statements like "if it aint broke, don't fix it", made by people too cheap to put a few bucks into their car for peace of mind. Sorry, nothing personal, that's how I see it.

If I were "cheap" I wouldn't be driving a Cadillac. I'm just smart enough to know when to replace things and when not to. I believe very strongly in preventative maintanence. I would venture to say that my cars are probably better maintaned than yours. Change your oil every 2k and your hoses every year if it makes you feel better. 3K oil changes is 1950's mentality just like yearly tune ups (or do you still do that to?). The grease monkeys at Jiffy Lube will tell you otherwise of coarse. Do you think that is for your benefit or do you think they know more than the engineers that designed and built these engines?

I think I know what gives me peace of mind, and, if you don't change anything until you absolutely have to, then, by definition, your car is nowhere near as well maintained as mine. I also suggested, as can be read above, that the individual owner needs to decide what will give him peace of mind, considering usage, age, and climate, as well as mileage. And if the car is garaged or not. I've never been to Jiffy Lube, I do most maintanence myself. Oh, and another thing, if you want to maintain a warranty, then you'd better follow the maintanence schedule listed in the owner's manual. Here in the northeast, my Dodge dealer told me to follow the heavy duty schedule, based on the climate extremes we have here. Even though we only have those extremes two or three months out of the year. Try arguing with them when something blows up and they won't cover it. Again, it's peace of mind I want, not to prove how cheap I am by saying I never replace wiper blades and I stick my head out the window to see where I'm going in the rain and snow.

95Concours is offline Expired eMail Address

Police spec vehicles (Crown Vics, Caprice etc.) use the green silicon hoses because they are made to last the life of the vehicle. I believe airplanes use these hoses too (?) for that same reason, they are extremely reliable.

That's good to know. The green silicone hoses seemed just as good as the new silicone hose that I bought to replace them with, so I can vouch for their lifespan on my own cars. I wonder if they come molded into a specific shape, like the rubber ones do. I doubt if I'll have to replace any of my rubber ones again, though.

The reason I never replaced the wiper blades is because I use Rain-X and never need to use them, thus they are like new. Maybe you should find out the facts before you start jumping to conclusions. Money was never once mentioned by me. That was your assumption and derogatory comment, followed by "Sorry, nothing personal".

First you say "At my job, there is constant debate about whether it's necessary to change oil at 2000 or 3000 miles, or longer. Maybe today's metal is better, and today's oils are better, but I still think it's necessary to change stuff that will evetually wear out. Then you say "you'd better follow the maintanence schedule listed in the owner's manual". The owners manual says follow the OLM not 2-3K oil changes. If you want to debate, pick a side and keep your insults to yourself.

brmurph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours

Sorry guys, didn't mean to start anything or questions anyones maintenance schedule. I think there could be a case both ways. I was just wondering if many folks have had problems with the Northstart heater hoses going bad (leaking) after 100,000 miles.

So how about it? Has anyone have any heater hose leaks or blowouts?

Inspect and feel them. If they are soft in places, or worn from rubbing on something, replace them. I personally have not had one go bad in 30 years or so.

Don't know what OLM stands for. The heavy duty maintanence shedule says oil changes every 3,000 miles. I do it every 2,000. More often than they require. For my own peace of mind. And, yes, I assume that people who don't change things before they absolutely have to are cheap, that is my assumption and opinion. If you like to take your chances, go ahead, I'll wave to you while you're stuck somewhere. And, speaking of assumptions, you ventured to say your car is better maintained than mine, and you were wrong there, so don't say anything to me about assumptions. Nothing is meant to be personal here, this is a discussion board, and my opinion is that people who don't do preventative maintanence are cheap, or ignorant. My opinion. The fact that this grates you suggests that you are, in fact, cheap. Someone who is not cheap would not take offense. And, just to aggravate you further, I know of a cheaper way to get the rain-X effect, without having to buy and use rain-X, but I won't tell you. I'll just let you wonder. By the way, are you the guy who came to my spot at a car show several years ago, and said you'd buy a used hubcap from me if you could get it cheaper than $3??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.