What do these codes mean in plain english ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, What do these codes mean in plain english ? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I pulled the codes in my 97 Deville and looked them up and can't figure where to start looking. Here ...
    Wicho is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What do these codes mean in plain english ?

I pulled the codes in my 97 Deville and looked them up and can't figure where to start looking. Here they are.....

P0139 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

B1312 - High Side Temp Sensor Open Circuit

B1147 - Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction- I understand this but what should I do about it and why is it malfunctioning ? I did have a MINOR and I mean MINOR accident about a few months back in which I dented the front of my hood a little.

B1983 - Device Power Circuit Low

Any help would tremendously be appriciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: What do these codes mean in plain english ?

P0139 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the pre-cat sensor. I get these codes every once in a while. I just clear them and ignore them as they only appear every 4-6 months or so. If they become persistant then I'll change the sensor.

B1312 - High Side Temp Sensor Open Circuit. This sensor is located on the A/C line along the firewall between the blower motor and the power brake vacuum booster. Check the connector to see if it is clean and tight. Be carefull pulling it. There are 2 tiny pins on it. To remove it you squeeze on the sides to release the locking lugs and gently pull down. Also check the wiring for a broken wire. If the sensor itself is bad, you'll have to have the system evacuated and refilled as removing the sensor will vent the system.

P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset may be from pulling battery power.

Can't help you on the other two.

Would any of these codes have anything to do with my deville having a hard time starting up when cold ? I am thinking it might be the FPR since I already had a faulty FPR when I bought the car and it is showing the same symptoms but it has only been maybe 5,000 miles since I replaced it. Do I need to replace these that often ? I also think it might be low on battery but the only sign is it showing of low current is dimming of light such as headlights, interior etc. What can it be ? Thanks again and thank you Ranger

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Wicho
    I also think it might be low on battery but the only sign is it showing of low current is dimming of light such as headlights, interior etc. What can it be ?
    Check your alternator. I had the same problem. My lights would be dim and then they would flicker inside and out. It was only noticeable at night but eventually it lead to my current state which is in need of an alternator. Hopefully it is just a battery and or tightening of battery cables. But I would check it anyway.

I don't think any of those codes would cause hard hot starts. FPR is suspect as well as leaky injector(s). FPR should not neeed to be replaced that often. Mine is original at 103K.

How would I check if it is a leaky injector ? To check the alternator I would just take it to a local "Pep Boys" or any other like car shop correct ? Thanks

To check for a leaky injector you'll have to lift the fuel rail with the injectors attached and then turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system but do not crank the engine. Look at the injector tips for leaks.

Yeah, Pep Boys or shop should be able to test the alternator for you.

Colt D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Wicho
    Would any of these codes have anything to do with my deville having a hard time starting up when cold ? I am thinking it might be the FPR since I already had a faulty FPR when I bought the car and it is showing the same symptoms but it has only been maybe 5,000 miles since I replaced it. Do I need to replace these that often ? I also think it might be low on battery but the only sign is it showing of low current is dimming of light such as headlights, interior etc. What can it be ? Thanks again and thank you Ranger
    I had the same problem with my 96 STS in January. After several cranks, it finally started. Alternator was fine, but the ground terminal was not too tight on the battery, causing the fuel pump to not have enough juice to start the car. Once the alternator was going, voltage was not a problem. Once I tightened the terminal, I've had no problems ever since. I'd check the battery connections before going to Pep Boys.

I am now pretty sure it is not an electrical problem. When I started the car I noticed a strong fuel odor. Since I think it is not the FPR I am leaning towards leaky fuel injector. Now, I plan on checking this tomorrow and if it is a leaky injector also fixing it tomorrow. Where do I have to go to a get an injector ? Would I have to go to a Cadillac dealership or would I be able to buy it at the local auto store ? Thanks again fellas

I would stay with an OEM injector. You might get it cheaper at a Chevy dealer or Rockauto or gmpartsdirect.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Your year N* was on the recall for fuel rail replacement. That could be a cause of the smell of gas.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.